[Paleopsych] Widsom of crowds

HowlBloom at aol.com HowlBloom at aol.com
Sat Sep 18 06:23:07 UTC 2004

Re: Meaning-Based Natural Intelligence Vs. Information-Based Artificial
Intelligence
Eshel—As so often, we’re on the same track…this time the track of context
and competition, context and survival.  On natural meaning versus machine
intelligence, way down below is the start of an unfinished essay I wrote for the
writer and counterculture phenomenon RU Sirius.  It approaches a key mystery
raised by both your work and mine.  Meaning comes from context.  Meaning comes
from the company you keep.  It comes from what you produce of value for those
around you.

But what is that value?  How does it come to be?  At what point do we go from
mouse-trap like micromechanisms doing their own thing for no good reason
whatsoever to a collection of these micromechanisms large enough to make the
automatic snaps of its citizens into music, to make the obsessive actions of an
atom or a molecule into something “valuable” and “meaningful”.

This leads to another thought, the connection between economics and all other
systems of meaning that emerge from massive social interaction.  Is there
really a difference between “meaning” and “value”?  Or do the same principles
apply to information exchange, information creation, and value creation?  Are
mass intellects and mass economies slightly different manifestations of the
same thing?  We do have markets for ideas.  You come up against that fact every
time you go for a grant, try to recruit grad students, or fight to get your
ideas into major physics journals.  You hit the blunt facts of that market even
more when you try to move your research beyond physics journals and into the
places where they really belong--into microbiology  and neurobiology
publications.  I take a safari into the market of ideas every time I write a book.

Why was Van Gogh’s art meaningless and valueless in the late 19th Century but
as valuable and meaningful as gold in the 20th?  The answer lies in the
rearrangement of large-scale social arrangements.  But that is an awfully vague
statement.  I’d like more details.

Why was the attraction between hydrogen and oxygen that led to water
initially meaningless and valueless in clouds of interstellar gas and in comets.  Why
did that mousetrap-snapping-like combination take on a first hint of value and
meaning on spicules of amorphous ice when those spicules contained carbon
molecules that responded to the insults of ultraviolet light by combining with
water in primitive biomolecules?  Why did that meaning and value become even
greater when water and its biomolecules hit the face of a planet where they could
liquify, puddle, and form membrane-like envelopes?  What contribution came
from another participant in this growing social structure: moderate heat—a
cushioned slam of movement that came from trapped solar energy, solar energy
softened by clouds and atmosphere, then held tight by the stony cheekbones of the
earth.

How did these societies of complex, sustained social interactions gain the
ability to protect themselves from disruption and chaotic change?  Could the
proto-membranes have helped bubble-baby these elaborate dances?  At what point
did these webs of interaction get ambitious and go out to impose their dance
steps on others?  How did they pull off the mega-alliances of atoms that we call
life?  At what point did they cross the boundary from machine-like
information-exchange to meaning?

Let’s take a step backward to another word you’ve wisely injected into a
scientific conversation that for too many centuries has shunned it: creativity.
Creativity has manifested itself since the big bang, an act of creation almost
beyond description.  The precipitation of forces, quanta, neutrons, protons,
atoms, molecules, galaxies, and stars—all of these were huge creative leaps.
And ambition we can trace to the first manifestations of gravity.  What is a
galaxy or a star but an extraordinarily ambitious and greedy mass, one that has
come out on top in an almost endless series of competitive bouts?

So where does meaning and value enter this driven, obsessive-compulsive,
manically self-creating cosmos?  What peculiar mesh of social interaction finally
turns a simple, machine-like game of toss-and-catch with phosphorus atoms into
the Krebs Cycle?  What sort of mesh does the Krebs cycle have to be embedded
in to give it value and meaning?  How did a cycle so dependent on trillions of
interactions, interactions choreographed in just the right manner, ever
manage to evolve?

This cosmos has an amazing habit of coughing out radically new forces.  Until
roughly 300,000 abb (after the big bang) there was no such thing as an
electro-magnetic grip that held protons to electrons.  Until roughly 380,000 abb,
there was no grab between things that you could call gravity.  In fact, early in
the cosmos’ history, there were no “things”.

Each of these objects and forces was something more than a mere emergent
property.  Each awaited a new echelon of social complexity before it revealed
itself.  But each was far, far more than the sum of its parts.  In the days of
their first emergence, the electromagnetic grip and the grapple of gravity were
radically new and were NOT  simply a new form of social arrangement.

Is life another new force like gravity and electromagnetism…a force that was
implicit all along but took it’s own sweet time to become explicit?  Is
consciousness another of these new forces?  Is conscious will a new force too?

Are meaning and value vital aspects of these newnesses?  Meaning and value
are the sums of majestic, massively repetitive, xerox-effected, copy-catted and
dopplegangered webs of social interaction. But are meaning and value greater
than mere social complexity come to life in new ways?  Are they a newness as
gripping as the gravity of a black hole or of a sun squeezed into a blaze?

Now for the fragment belched forth for RU Sirius:

In a message dated 9/2/2004 11:44:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,