[Paleopsych] armageddon fantasies

Michael Christopher anonymous_animus at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 20:31:53 UTC 2004

>>But now I am thinking that we are caught up in
something that may as well be called "The Apocalypse."
 Of course, this does not mean THE END OF THE WORLD,
but just The End Of The World As We Know It.<<

--It does seem there is a convergence of beliefs about
the end of the world. Christians are eagerly awaiting
the End Times, complete with Big Brother and WWIII and
Jesus returning to rule with an iron rod. New agers
talk of the end of the Mayan calendar and "timewave
zero". Radical Muslims are doing their best to revive
the Crusades and prepare for a new Islamic empire.
It's as if there's a strange attractor in the global
imagination.

Expectations are more powerful than the will. It's
very hard to prepare for a future you don't believe is
possible, and with so many people preparing for
Armageddon, it seems there is great potential for
self-fulfilling prophesies to take on a life of their
own, regardless of what individuals want.

I can only imagine the guilt this generation will
carry when its children hold it accountable for what
was left to them.