[Paleopsych] Lipids, depression and suicide

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. ljohnson at solution-consulting.com
Wed Apr 20 14:32:26 UTC 2005

Diet: This is a good point, and one I have considered. However, the
history of a rise in depression pre-dates the low fat fad.  In the 1960s
the trend was already appearing, with people of my generation being at
higher risk of depression than my own grandparents. Therefore, Seligman
argues more in favor of changing values. I think you are correct that
diet may also play a role, but it is not the whole picture.

I put in the Horatius at the gate segments because the notion is that if
nothing is worth dying for, then nothing is worth living for. One's
willingness to give one's life in service of a higher value is a source
of great strength and happiness. This appears to be an empirical
finding, and illustrates the role of values and social norms in reducing
depression.

"and how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of
his fathers and the temples of his gods . . ."  The man / woman who
deeply believes this has something great to live for, knows his/her
position in life, and feels a deep connection with forebearers /
posterity ('child upon her breast').  This seems to immunize against
depression.

Lynn