[Paleopsych] list format

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Sun Apr 24 00:56:40 UTC 2005

That's what I suspected, actually. But you may be the only one. I don't go
the digest route, since I find it always more time consuming. But this is
because I have a text-only UNIX shell account. It takes only a second for
a message to appear, not the several seconds in a graphics-based account
using, say Outlook or Eudora. I get only a screen at a time. But if a
message is of no interest to me (I get lots of spam), it takes me another
second to delete it. (I can reduce those two seconds to one by running
down the list that gives subjects and deleting away.)

Lots of the stuff I send requires subscriptions. It's okay to send them to
this list under the "fair use" exemption, and I have access to a
university account and can fetch articles from 40,000 serials. I shy away
from too much browsing, since there seems to be at least one interesting
article in every issue of every journal I peek into! But if a list refers
to something in Science or Nature, I can grab it. Takes a lot of work
fixing it up, though, esp. when I have to use the professional version of
Acrobat to convert a PDF to text. Even so, I seem to spend much of the day
finding, converting, and sending things.

You, and everyone else, might consider getting a UNIX shell account. Just
visit http://www.panix.com. It costs $100 a year and has the advantage
that Panix gives you storage space on its mainframe in Manhattan of 75 MB.
You can access it from any computer connect to the Net. In Windows, it's
just Start|Run|<telnet panix.com>|Enter, and you're in! Just give your
username/password and type <pine>. The text-only Web browser, Lynx, is
great, since you can fix it to include the URLs of the links. What you do
is e-mail a Webpage to yourself. Then you strip it of unnecessary
characters and forward it.

You can also store files and read them in to the message body of an
e-message. Thus, typing crtl-r <redirect> enter gives the following, which
I have had occasion to use many times:

Please redirect to the list, to whom it was intended. Doesn't sound like
private e-mail to me. This is very common mistake. (You may have sent it
to both the list and me already, in which case it is my mistake.)

I have several dozen others, like my street address.

One drawback is that you can't open images or Word files. I wish everyone
would copy and paste a Word file into the message body. If they don't, I
"bounce" it to a graphics-based account (at home or at work) and read it
there. THAT is more of a nusiance to me, I am sure, than having to scroll
down a few pages is to you.

Have yoo thought of using the Find command to move onto the next message?
Each message beings with a characteristic string.

Oh, yeah, I see that you use Yahoo's web-based e-mail. That's just about
the very most awkward way of reading e-mail. I suggest a UNIX shell
account post-haste. It's the fastest, by far.

Frank

On 2005-04-23, Michael Christopher opined [message unchanged below]: