[Paleopsych] information inflation

Joel Isaacson isaacsonj at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 24 15:58:21 UTC 2005

Howard,

You echo below certain aspects of Eshel's 3rd principle.   Increased
complexification in
living systems allows for detection of (latent) higher-level complexity both
within and without.
And this is an ongoing, recursive/dialectical process.  -- Joel

PS  For reference, here is Eshel's 3rd principle.

"3. The principle of matched complexity. The system needs an internal level
of complexity which is sufficiently high in order to extract latent
information from the external complexity.

I view this matched complexity principle the driving force of evolution that
explain the ever increasing level of complexity. In a nutshell the idea is:
A single bacterium needs some level of complexity to detect the complexity
of the surrounding environment and over the time window between replication.
To glean more information the bacteria form cooperative behaviour and
generate complex colonies. However for that each individual bacterium needs
a higher level of internal complexity for communication and to cope with its
external environment which is now has higher level of complexity - the
environment becomes both the outside and the rest of the colony. To solve
the paradox self-organization leads to the formation of functional modules
and spatio-temporal patterns. And than .. (for next time)."