[Paleopsych] Ibn Khaldun and the Laffer curve

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Mon Apr 25 14:16:37 UTC 2005

This reminds me of the late Mancur Olson's distinction between roving and
stationary bandits. He was one of the few Public Choice scholars who were
strong political Democrats. Sarah and I talked with him many times at
various get togethers. Great sense of humor. I'll put together a
Stationary Bandit Package and send it later.

The idea behind the Laffer curve is that, at a tax rate of 0%, the state
will get no money. At a rate of 100%, the state will get no money either,
since no one will work. The revenue maximizing tax rate is therefore
between 0% and 100%. Champions of current tax cut commonly argue that the
current rate of taxation is greater than the revenue maximizing rate and
should be lowered. I don't know what the evidence says, but I reject that
the gov't should rake in as much as possible, that is, act like a
stationary bandit.

Khaldun was arguing that the state did a poor job of maximizing its take,
in that its tax rates were too high.

The paleopsych question is what can restrain bandits generally. Howard?

On 2005-04-24, Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. opined [message unchanged below]: