[Paleopsych] information inflation

HowlBloom at aol.com HowlBloom at aol.com
Mon Apr 25 07:00:02 UTC 2005

Joel--All thanks.  You're absolutely right.

The thought, brief as it was, was inspired by Eshel, who asked me roughly
four years ago to ponder the nature of information.  If I interpreted him
correctly, he felt that understanding the nature of information would  provide the
key to understanding the evolution of the cosmos and  of the cosmos'
creativity.

That led to the following bit of musing:

hb: "I’m pondering what value we can derive from regarding time as  an
information translation and stimulus-and-response process.  One  instant of time
reads the instant that came before it, presumably in the  tiny dividing line
between Planck units of time.  The  present translates the previous instant into a
new pattern.  What are  the rules of this grand translation, of this grand
interpretation of a previous  instant's implications?"

Then add this: hb: "evolution  is a process in which nature admires herself
in a mirror and compresses what she  sees, then uses that condensation of
herself to produce new  realities."

And  toss in yet another quote from an old posting:  "hb: Patterns repeat on
many levels because the repetition of  old things on new levels is how this
cosmos grows new patterns, processes,  and things--from singularity to a sheet
of time-space expansion, from that sheet  of hurried departure from less than a
single point to many points, to quarks,  then to nucleons, and onward 300,000
years later to atoms and  straight-line-traveling photons, then, 700,000
years down the road to galaxies,  the ignition of stars, and light.  Now we take
nearly infinitesimal streams of that light and shift if from  one frame of
reference to another--from the tiny light-twitches the human eye  can't see to the
twitching of electrons in a CCD sensor to the image made by  luminescent
particles on a computer monitor, to the pixels of an image, to the  ink of wood
pulp of a picture, to the mathematics of an astrophysicist and from  there to
the technical language of a journal article and the colloquial language  of a
press release.  But that's not  the end of the condensations and translations
from one from of reference to  another, not be any means.  If the  information
officer in charge of the press release makes just the right a bursts  of
electrons and photons move on the telephone lines and rearranges the
neurotransmissions in a New York Times reporter's mind, the numerous  translations of the
twitch of light can be reconstructed in the minds of  millions as a vision of a
process that once occurred on the very edges (or at  the very center) of this
spreading universe.  Then prophets, preachers, and  politicians can use the
resulting genesis tale to change the course of human  history.  Compression and
expansion  all over the place.  Representation  and translation.  Why does it
all  work?  Because the original  ancestors of stars, of atoms, of photons,
and of you and me were a handful of  rules that can be expanded and compressed
iteratively--folded over and under and  upon themselves endlessly."

Does a bigger picture begin to emerge, one that comes from an
eight-year-long colloquy with Eshel?  Or is the bigger picture one I need  to be more
explicit about, one I need to take the time to write?  Onward--Howard

ps for more on this line of thought see Eshel's “Seeking  the Foundations of
Cognition:From Thermodynamics to Contextual Information and  Back” and his
paper on linguistics among bacteria.

In a message dated 4/24/2005 9:01:14 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,