[Paleopsych] Shhhhh is this another Ur Strategy?

HowlBloom at aol.com HowlBloom at aol.com
Sat Dec 10 06:41:12 UTC 2005

Hi, Karen.  Good question.

All I can add to this is the bark the cool and the growl.

Animals use low noises--the growl-- to make themselves look  big--big to
rivals and big to females who, even in frogs, go for bigness.   The bigger the
woofer the lower the sound, so us animals go real low to make our  woofers sound
huge.  Low rumbles are our musical dominance gestures.

Animals use mid-range noises--the bark--to say hello, how are you or to
introduce themselves to others they feel are equals.  The mid-range is a  music we
sing to each other to connect without slipping into anger or  intimacy.

And animals use high-pitched, soft sounds to make themselves sound small,
unthreatening, adorably appealing, and intimate.  We use high-pitched soft
sounds--coos--when we baby-talk to our young ones or to our lovers.   Tweeters
make high sounds.  The smaller the tweeter, the higher the  sound.  Coos are
musical submission and seduction gestures.

Shhhhh falls into the coo category, but so do lots of other sounds.  I
suspect that shhh isn't cross-cultural--that it isn't replicated in Chinese,
Japanese, or Mayan.  But I'm not at all sure.  Or should that be  shhhure? Howard

ps take a look at this paleopsych conversation from 1998 in which Martha
Sherwood added something intriguing:

Martha  Sherwood writes:  Subj:      Re: Language as  display Date:      98‑02
‑23 13:01:14 EST From: msherw at oregon.uoregon.edu (Martha Sherwood) To:
HowlBloom at aol.com  Regarding your query to Gordon Burghart  about geckos, it might
be relevant that the vocalizations accompanying  vampire bat threat displays
are within the human auditory range whereas their  other signals are not.
Martha  hb: very nifty, Martha.  This  would fit in with the coo, bark and growl
research, since the bats are  conceivably descending into what for them is a
basso profundo growl  to maximize their menace. Howard

In a message dated 12/9/2005 1:21:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,