[Paleopsych] Shhhhh is this another Ur Strategy?

K.E. guavaberry at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 10 22:16:22 UTC 2005

hey howard,

But I'm not at all sure.  Or should that be shhhure? Howard

:-)

your info helps to frame out the bigger story,
loved reading it - thanks so much

and  didn't Skoyles used to write to the list?
http://www.hinduonnet.com/2001/10/11/stories/08110007.htm
suggests music is hardwired (which i believe)
& i think Steven Pinker is totally wrong
i think Trehub has it goin on

the other day on of my husbands co-workers said he
was reading a book about calming babies called best baby on the block
which gave parents an ordered 5 step  to do list (&  daddy said it worked)

one of the steps included saying shhhhh in the baby's ear
& to do it at the volume
to match the loudness of the baby cry
  loud cry = loud shhhhh
directly into the kids ear and the book also says no worries you can't hurt
the kids eardrum.

the whole thing got me thinking about the shhhhh - Ur thing
cause it's gotta be full of overtones & that
falls under the music brain wiring idea.

http://www.annalsnyas.org/cgi/content/abstract/930/1/1

http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Literacy/whatresearch4.asp

the coo, bark and growl research does that include the chip?
if dr. provine can tickle rats and get them to laugh is laughing called a chip?

i just can't stop wondering about this.

best,

At 01:41 AM 12/10/2005, you wrote:
>Hi, Karen.  Good question.
>
>All I can add to this is the bark the cool and the growl.
>
>Animals use low noises--the growl-- to make
>themselves look big--big to rivals and big to
>females who, even in frogs, go for bigness.  The
>bigger the woofer the lower the sound, so us
>animals go real low to make our woofers sound
>huge.  Low rumbles are our musical dominance gestures.
>
>Animals use mid-range noises--the bark--to say
>hello, how are you or to introduce themselves to
>others they feel are equals.  The mid-range is a
>music we sing to each other to connect without slipping into anger or intimacy.
>
>And animals use high-pitched, soft sounds to
>make themselves sound small, unthreatening,
>adorably appealing, and intimate.  We use
>high-pitched soft sounds--coos--when we
>baby-talk to our young ones or to our
>lovers.  Tweeters make high sounds.  The smaller
>the tweeter, the higher the sound.  Coos are
>musical submission and seduction gestures.
>
>Shhhhh falls into the coo category, but so do
>lots of other sounds.  I suspect that shhh isn't
>cross-cultural--that it isn't replicated in
>Chinese, Japanese, or Mayan.  But I'm not at all
>sure.  Or should that be shhhure? Howard
>
>ps take a look at this paleopsych conversation
>from 1998 in which Martha Sherwood added something intriguing:
>

>Martha Sherwood writes:  Subj:      Re: Language
>as display Date:      98‑02‑23 13:01:14 EST
>From: msherw at oregon.uoregon.edu (Martha
>Sherwood) To: HowlBloom at aol.com  Regarding your
>query to Gordon Burghart about geckos, it might
>be relevant that the vocalizations accompanying
>vampire bat threat displays are within the human
>auditory range whereas their other signals are
>not.  Martha hb: very nifty, Martha.  This would
>fit in with the coo, bark and growl research,
>since the bats are conceivably descending into
>what for them is a basso profundo growl  to maximize their menace. Howard
>
>In a message dated 12/9/2005 1:21:22 PM Eastern
>Standard Time, guavaberry at earthlink.net writes:
>hi everyone,
>sorry to interrupt the present conversation . . .
>but i've been wondering about this . . . .
>What is shhhhh? and does this fall under another UR strategy
>a western custom or is it
>a world wide "instinct" we all have to use shhhhhh
>for shushing  a baby to stop crying
>or to calm a crying baby or crying child.
>Is this another Ur Strategy?
>Do all human babies recognize this as the
>signal to be quiet?
>Do all cultures use this?
>I imagine it sounding like a snake's rattle
>but that doesn't mean much. I've heard it
>the same sound calm's horses and sounds
>similar to the word for thank you in mandarin.
>Do we know anything about shhhhh?
>Appreciate any thoughts you might have.
>thanks,
>Karen Ellis
>Archive
>8/16/03
>Re: Ur strategies and the moods of cats and dogs
> [...]

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
The Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/

National Children's Folksong Repository
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/NCFR/

Hot List of Schools Online and
Net Happenings, K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/

7 Hot Site Awards
New York Times, USA Today , MSNBC, Earthlink,
USA Today Best Bets For Educators, Macworld Top Fifty