[Paleopsych] government/business in health care

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. ljohnson at solution-consulting.com
Wed Feb 16 04:00:22 UTC 2005

Michael's question is good - what alternatives can one recommend?

I have worked in mental health for 30 years and done most of my own
billing and insurance work. I find government programs are always the
worst to deal with, and the additional problem, Michael, is that they
are a monopoly. Both Medicade and Medicare have this impossible quality,
and I think that quality suffers when government meddles. I resigned
from a local panel with about 40% of the local population because they
were difficult to deal with. I cannot do that with Medicare. If I want
to make my living by only working on panels that treat providers and
clients with respect I can do that. Hence my fear of government monopoly.

I recommend . . . (drum roll, please) Health savings accounts for all
people.  This means personal ownership. It is your money, and you can
shopt around. A friend of mine did just that. She and her husband had
high deductable insurance, and when he needed an appendectomy, she
called a half dozen providers and chose the cheapest one. Guts! But it
worked out well. The cheap provider was an older surgeon with less
overhead and less need for materialistic phallic symbols. He did a good
job on my friend.

With the no-deductable plans today, there is no incentive to do that.
HMOs and prepaid plans can be very good (Kaiser seems to be excellent)
but if I had only one answer, I would say HSAs.

Complete medical coverage has been a  perverse incentive. It raises
costs. Why should pharmaceutical companies compete when patients do NOT
shop on the basis of cost? (Well, I always do, but most people don't).

Hope that helps advance the dialog, Michael.
Lynn