[Paleopsych] empathy [was] Positive emotions and perceptual accuracy

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. ljohnson at solution-consulting.com
Thu Feb 17 05:13:16 UTC 2005

Well, many mammals seem to have empathy. I do not think that reptiles
have empathy nor fish. I have not seen empathy in cows, but some in
horses. My Lab retriever has empathy for our cat, and the cat hates the
dog. I have not seen empathy in cats. No offense intended, you cat
lovers. Your examples are mostly chimps, and certainly they have
empathy. The bird studies show intelligence but I don't see the empathy.
Our bird has no empathy for anyone except the lovely bird behind the
mirror. Empathy is likely a limbic / neocortex combination, bigger
cortex, more empathy???. I suspect that animals living in groups would
tend to develop empathy.
Lynn