[Paleopsych] empathy [was] Positive emotions and perceptual accuracy

Ross Buck ross.buck at uconn.edu
Thu Feb 17 15:19:17 UTC 2005

Empathy can be defined in many ways--does a predator have empathy for its
prey when it judges accurately which way it will escape?--but many consider
nurturance and protectiveness to be important.  To some extent, these are
necessary behaviors in birds and mammals, although different species do
display them to differing degrees.  The differences between monogamous
prairie vole and polygamous meadow voles are particularly instructive, as
these tendencies are closely related to oxytocin and vasopressin systems.
There is recent evidence that, incredibly, the ruggedly individualistic but
philandering male meadow vole can be made to act like a sweet, sensitive,
reliable male prairie vole by the alteration of a single gene.  Lim et al.
(2004) demonstrated that V1aR gene transfer into the ventral forebrain of
male meadow voles substantially increased partner preference formation.  The
V1aR gene transfer increases vasopressin receptors in the ventral forebrain,
and the authors suggest that this has the effect of increasing social memory
of the partner's olfactory signature and also associating that social memory
with dopamine-mediated reward.

Don't try this at home.

Cheers, Ross

Reference:  Lim, M. M., Wang, Z., Olazabal, D. E., Ren, X., Terwilliger, E.
F., & Young, L. J. (2004)  Enhanced partner preference in a promiscuous
species by manipulating the expression of a single gene.  Nature.  429.
754-757.