[Paleopsych] empathy [was] Positive emotions and perceptual accuracy

K.E. guavaberry at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 20 04:11:05 UTC 2005

hey Lynn

At 09:23 PM 2/17/2005, you wrote:
>No offense taken, Karen, you are a fascinating contributor to this
>listserv. Always interesting stuff.

<shy grin>

>In a sense you are right. All creatures may have empathy.

yes it is in a "sense" - it is "to sense"

some brains are wired in a way that gives them a more intense
ability to sense - other energy - you'll have to just let it go - whatever we
could discuss about energy is more than i want to type
and in how may ways creatures are wired to sense energy . . ..

so

those animals knew (sensed) the tsunami was coming - they went to higher ground
how'd they know - how are they wired to sense tsunami energy?

indigenous people living close to the earth - who still have an oral tradition
passing their righteous wisdom down thru the ages
watch animals & they left for higher ground

basically it's only the "Educated People" with all the technology
and no oral tradition who have lost their senses - they died pfffffft

i know i know - how can i say such things - it's ok, i don't really have
to defend all that i've typed - it's just what i think

>But to feel empathy in another sentient creature requires something I
>don't possess, psychic abilities. I actually believe they (psychic
>abilities) exist, because after my interviews of near death experiencers,
>I found some pretty anomolous data. Rupert Sheldrake lives! So I infer
>empathy from actions. Technically, what the dog feels for my cat is
>compassion. If the cat is outside and the weather turns bad, the dog will
>pace and whine until I let her out. She goes out, collects the cat, and
>herds her in. So I infer empathy/compassion. Never seen a cat do anything
>like that. MY cat seems to specialize in bugging me when I am trying to
>write an email. Total lack of empathy for me. I pet her anyway. I have
>empathy for her. Dumb cat.

my smart cat guavaberry knew that i would protect her - she had her kittens
in my bed next to me in the middle of the night. I was dreaming that she
was having kittens (i saw her having the kittens in my dream) and i got so
excited it woke me up to see this happening next to me.
fact: i never knew anything about her being pregnant, my friend to told me
she was, joking i flippantly said the due date -  she had those kittens on
that very day. I've got a lifetime of stories like that, creatures/ humans
born or dyin'.

It's not the only time i've seen it in my mind before it happens - how do i
see it? is this being psychic?  well okie dokie if you think so, but to me
it's like green grass, a very ordinary thing.

>So what am I missing about feeling empathy in critters?

their pain

<snip>
So we have to conclude that NDE in our study was experienced during a
transient functional loss of all functions of the cortex and of the
brainstem. It is important to mention that there is a well documented
report of a patient with constant registration of the EEG during cerebral
surgery for an gigantic cerebral aneurysm at the base of the brain,
operated with a body temperature between 10 and 15 degrees, she was put on
the heart-lung machine, with VF, with all blood drained from her head, with
a flat line EEG, with clicking devices in both ears, with eyes taped shut,
and this patient experienced an NDE with an out-of-body experience, and all
details she perceived and heard could later be verified. (8)

Out of Body - please, humans do it all the time,  it's a defense, it's
natural it's ordinary
science "knows very little

& this is the best science can do at this point.
You know how hard it is to get this eensy weensy teeny weeny thing published!

"No One gets in to see the Wizard, Not no way, Not no how!" -- The Guard to
Dorothy
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." -- The Wizard to Dorothy

best to ya,

karen