[Paleopsych] empathy [was] Positive emotions and perceptual accuracy

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. ljohnson at solution-consulting.com
Fri Feb 18 02:23:44 UTC 2005

No offense taken, Karen, you are a fascinating contributor to this
listserv. Always interesting stuff.

In a sense you are right. All creatures may have empathy. But to feel
empathy in another sentient creature requires something I don't possess,
psychic abilities. I actually believe they (psychic abilities) exist,
because after my interviews of near death experiencers, I found some
pretty anomolous data. Rupert Sheldrake lives! So I infer empathy from
actions. Technically, what the dog feels for my cat is compassion. If
the cat is outside and the weather turns bad, the dog will pace and
whine until I let her out. She goes out, collects the cat, and herds her
in. So I infer empathy/compassion. Never seen a cat do anything like
that. MY cat seems to specialize in bugging me when I am trying to write
an email. Total lack of empathy for me. I pet her anyway. I have empathy
for her. Dumb cat.

So what am I missing about feeling empathy in critters?
Lynn
motley Ph.D.