[Paleopsych] Re: Robust scientific dialog

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. ljohnson at solution-consulting.com
Mon Feb 21 15:05:33 UTC 2005

David,
These are fascinating references. I look forward to reading them.

One piece I didn't mention is the key is the CEO, the leader of the
group. I started with him, interviewed him, and videotaped the
interview. I then selected portions to show to the rest of the
organization, emphasizing that the CEO was instigating this, was
supportive, and so on. So if one is to make a change, one must start at
the top.

Since change is too often seen as a threat (your quote from "Stupidity"
illustrates that), by using Appreciative Inquiry, we accomplish two things:
    1. Find exceptions and talk about them. This makes the upcoming
change seem a part of the history of the group. We do this in family
therapy, when we move the family toward talking about times when the
Identified Patient has behaved in strong positive ways. This changes the
views of the IP and thus changes the future. (The assumption is that the
future is determined by what we expect; that is a recursive statement,
the future is created by our vision of the future.)
    2. We make the change seem positive and exciting. The old notion was
that pain had to drive organizational change. But this notion is that
change is more about a positive expectation, a hope. We create that hope
based on discovery of what has been our best past behavior. More of That.

I also have the idea that people have four stages of change, based on
Solution-focused therapy (deShazer) and on Prochaska's work on change.
My four stages are:
    - Bystander / Visitor
    - Complainant
    - Shopper
    - Customer

I have a handout on that if you would like to see more. Anyway, the
theory here that a colleague and I have been working on is that
organizations go through the same four stages. I have a talk on that on
audiotape I can send you if you'd like, where I apply the four stages to
organizational change.

Well, off to work
Lynn