[Paleopsych] Re: paleopsych Digest, Vol 9, Issue 20

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. ljohnson at solution-consulting.com
Wed Feb 23 15:50:45 UTC 2005

Marty Seligman (learned helplessness theorist, Learned Optimism,
Authentic Happiness, former APA president) - an atheist - mentions that
as a key to true happiness. He reviews literature that religious people
are generally happier and more fulfilled, more resilient. Czentmyhali
(spelling!) at U Chicago finds that kids involved in something greater
than themselves are much more likely to experience "flow" and periods of
greater happiness. Religion is clearly an adaptive force. BTW, I don't
want to hear arguments that religion is behind most wars. That is a
pretty tired argument that was thoroughly debunked by the 20th Century.
Lynn