[Paleopsych] True happiness.

Christian Rauh christian.rauh at uconn.edu
Wed Feb 23 16:19:36 UTC 2005

Is religion *true* hapiness?

I know many people who are oblivious to world events and are definetely
more happy than the ones who follow what is going on. Are these people
*truly* happy?

Is the spouse who doesn't know of their partner's affair *truly* happy?

Should we create an artifical environment of happiness?

This has been a long debate in philosophy.

Christian

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. wrote:
> Marty Seligman (learned helplessness theorist, /Learned Optimism,
> Authentic Happiness/, former APA president) - an atheist - mentions that
> as a key to true happiness. He reviews literature that religious people
> are generally happier and more fulfilled, more resilient. Czentmyhali
> (spelling!) at U Chicago finds that kids involved in something greater
> than themselves are much more likely to experience "flow" and periods of
> greater happiness. Religion is clearly an adaptive force. BTW, I don't
> want to hear arguments that religion is behind most wars. That is a
> pretty tired argument that was thoroughly debunked by the 20th Century.
> Lynn
>
> Alice Andrews wrote:
>
>> Hi Gerry,
>> Thanks for the note...
>> There was an interesting article somewhere--maybe Frank sent it
>> in?--about teenagers and the possiblity that what they were missing
>> was 'religion' or 'spirituality' or a 'sense of purpose and meaning
>> beyond them.' Do you remember reading that on paleo some time ago? I
>> can't find it...But it seems apropos to your missive. (If anyone knows
>> it and can send out again, I'd appreciate!)
>> Thanks and cheers,
>> Alice
>>
>> Hi Alice,
>>
>> Thanks for the rec re: Nesse's  "Evolution and the Capacity for
>> Commitment".  Although I still haven't read it I'm familiar with its
>> contents.  The issue of 'commitment' especially for young people is
>> something that definitely needs addressing and maybe requiring our
>> youth to make a firm political commitment to a particular party will
>> carry over to their demonstrating less risky behavior with drugs, sex,
>> employment, family or whatever.  Yet isn't our youth already
>> politically brainwashed into political awareness or have they flicked
>> away that duty as well?  I no longer hang out with our country's young
>> but when I did I found that very few had their head screwed on
>> correctly and many were adrift;  from what I hear now they still
>> continue on their aimless flow.  When I wrote my original answer my
>> thoughts were on "my generation", not the others.  Thanks for your post.
>>
>> I'll add the book to my list.
>>
>> Gerry

"The gravest danger to freedom lies at the crossroads
  of radicalism and technology."

                               - President Bush
                                         June 1, 2002, West Point, NY

"we will not hesitate to act alone, if necessary, to exercise our
  right of selfdefense by acting preemptively [...] we recognize that
  our best defense is a good offense"

     - The National Security Strategy of The United States of America

                             <http://www.whitehouse.gov/nsc/nss.html>