[Paleopsych] disaster fallacy

Michael Christopher anonymous_animus at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 21:52:28 UTC 2005

>>"Why did you do this to us, God? What did we do to
upset you?" asked a woman in India this week, a
heart-wrenching question asked in common these past
few days by Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus and
Christians.<<

--What a horribly mistaken question! To attribute
natural disasters to the will of a powerful being
whose judgment is beyond question is such a horrid
thing to do to oneself and one's children. Blaming
other humans cannot be far behind, if it preserves the
view of God as benevolent ruler. "Oh, so it wasn't
God, it was THEM!! They brought God's wrath upon us!"
(or eliminate God from the equation altogether, by
blaming Jews, Americans, or whatever group seems
all-powerful and easy to blame).