[Paleopsych] The powerful give up on Iraq

Steve Hovland shovland at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 15 01:48:29 UTC 2005

When someone as well-connected as James Baker
says we need to set a schedule for withdrawing troops
from Iraq, it means something.

I think it means that the most powerful people in
this country have been running the numbers on this
misadventure and can plainly see that it's going
downhill.

If we don't get out the $4.5 billion per month cost will
go on indefinitely, doing ever more damage to our
faltering domestic economy.  This is a far cry from the
self-financing war that Rumsfeld promised.  And there
is certainly no way we can ever recover our investment
in money and blood.

I think we can expect a growing chorus of Republican
politicians and corporate media types to call for an end
to the madness.  They can see that the other parts of
their agenda are being damaged by this item.

If any corporate CEO blew $150 billion on something
that didn't work he'd be marched out of his office with
a security guard on each arm.  And they would tell
him he could sue for his severance package.

I doubt that people like Baker really care about the
human cost of this, but it has been horrendous.  If
a deposed George Bush ever set foot in Europe he
would be arrested and tried for war crimes.