[Paleopsych] Tom Coburn on abortion

Steve Hovland shovland at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 15 17:36:18 UTC 2005

Whether science-based or not, the most
visible people in right-wing sex education
tend to promote abstinence, which is
totally unrealistic.

I'm not comfortable with the fact that
pre-teens may be commonly engaging
in oral sex, but it I have heard from my
wife, who teaches pre-high-schoolers,
that it does go on and there is a lot
of concern because the kids seem to
think that there is no disease danger
involved.

It may be that parents need to be involved
when the issue is abortion, but perhaps
kids should be able to get contraceptives
on their own initiative without their
parents being involved.

I know this flies in the face of the beliefs
of a lot of people, but the fact is, when
the kids decide to have sex, they are
going to have it with our without
contraceptives.