[Paleopsych] big bagels and black holes

HowlBloom at aol.com HowlBloom at aol.com
Fri Jan 21 21:58:19 UTC 2005

More  on black holes.  There are a number  of theories in the world of
theoretical physics (not just the world of Buddhism)  in which the universe is
cyclical—it dies and from its cinder is born  again.  One of those is my Big Bagel
Theory.  Others include Max  Tegmark’s toroidal theory, a theory in which the
cosmos is also curved like a  doughnut, and a theory in which “branes”—
skin-like surfaces on which universes  spread—periodically meet.  In most  of these
theories the universe ends in a big crunch that’s the mirror opposite  of the
big bang, then a new universe pops out of the singularity of that  crunch.
A  question I’ve been pondering, and occasionally muttering about on
paleopsych  over the last year or so, goes something like this.  Can we or whatever
beasts are burped out  after us by the creative cosmos manage to sum up what we’
ve learned and pass it  through the eye of the needle, through the singularity
of the big crunch, and on  to whatever cosmos comes after us?  In other
words, can universes learn from their parents?
The  answer would have been “no” a year or two ago.  Information, said the
party line, can’t  pass through a singlurity—it can’t stream through the
infinitessimal squinch in  time and space that makes for big bangs, big crunches,
and black holes.  Well, now the view of just how much a  singularity turns all
information into non-information seems to be  changing.  First Stephen Hawking
 changed his mind in the summer of 2004 and decided that information can,
indeed,  sift into—and, more important, out of—the singularity of a black  hole.
Now  a bunch of other theoretical physicists are discovering ways their
theoretical  structures also make the sluicing of data through the eye of the
needle, through  a singularity, possible.
Which brings us back to the question—can one cosmos pass  its wisdom on to
the cosmos that comes after it?  Can universes learn, then pass their  knowledge
on from one generation to the next and through the next to universes  ten
generations down the line?  Can  information scrunchers like us humans possibly
become part of this process?  Can we—or can our great, greate, great,
grandchildren a million generations down the line—find ways to compress  knowledge so
it passes through the big crunch on to the next big  bang?
The  answer has shifted from what it was two years ago.  Then it was an
unequivocal “no”.   Now it’s just conceivably  “yes”.  Howard
Ps.  For those who don’t know the Bloom Big Bagel Theory, conceived in 1959,
then  supported in surprising ways when we discovered in 1998 that the
universe is  accelarating in its expansion, I’ll toss in an old summary below.  And
below that is an article summing up  the new views on information’s passage
through and/or out of black holes and, by  implication, other singularities.
The  Big Bagel Theory.  We can do this  the easy way, or we can do it the
hard way.  The easy way is Rob Kritkausky’s  animation of the theory, which isn’
t quite complete but gets a heck of a lot  across in a very small amount of
time.  The animation is at _http://www.bigbangtango.org/website/BigBagel.htm_
(http://www.bigbangtango.org/website/BigBagel.htm)
The  hard way is by using words.  Here  come the words:
The  Bloom Big Bagel theory of the cosmos says that at the infinitessimally
small  point of the beginning of the Big Bang, two cosmoses whomped out, each
into its  own curved plane of space.  One is the cosmos in which we live.  The
other is the cosmos of anti-matter.  Do we need a silly, comic-book level
theory of this sort?  We sure as heck do.  When I went through several  hundred
astrophysics papers trying to find the dates of nucleogenesis of the  various
complex atoms--the atoms beyond hydrogen, helium, and lithium--I  couldn't
find the information.  Why?  Because there is a subject in  astrophysics called
nucleocosmochronology.  You'd think that chronologists  of the birth of nucleii
would try to figure out the date of the first iron atom,  the first, oxygen
atom, the first potassium atom, and so on.  But,  no.  There's something else
on nucleocosmochronologist's minds.  It's  a simple question.  Why is there so
much ordinary matter in this universe  and so little anti-matter?  Theory says
that the amount of ordinary matter  and anti-matter should be the same.  So
where did all the anti-matter  go?  The Bloom Big Bagel Theory of the Cosmos is
toroidal.  In topology, that means it’s  doughnut-like.  Big Bagel Theory
says to idiots like me, "Hey, nut case, the missing anti-matter went into a
negative universe, a universe in which time runs in reverse, a universe in which
its obstreperous backwardness actually fits."  Meanwhile, astrophysicists are
now  asking why the universe's elements--novas, stars, and galaxies--accel
erate away  from each other once they pass a certain point.  They've tried a
bunch of  names to account for whatever the cause might be--negative gravity,
quintessence, the cosmological constant, and, this year's favorite, dark  energy.
 But Big Bagel theory says that a curved space represents a curve  in
gravity.  Gravity tells space how to bend.  Reach the highpoint of  the bagel and you
begin to slide down a gravity curve.  You begin to  accelerate.  You do it
for two reasons simultaneously  (two reasons  that are simultaneous and seem
each others opposites may be instances of Niels  Bohr's complimentarity).  Once
you get over the hump, gravity turns  negative--it pushes you away from a
common gravitational center instead of  toward that center.  And once you get over
the hump, you're being pulled by  the gravity of the anti-universe.  When the
two universes meet at the outer  limits of the Big Bagel they annihilate to a
pinprick of energy and are back  where they started, in the center,
big-banging and big-bageling again.  The idea of an anti-universe gains a  peculiar kind
of support--and a new kind of reality--from the concept that i=the  square
root of minus one.  There is no square root of minus one, so why  does it show
up in calculations that actually predict things we can  measure?  Because the
square root of minus one doesnt' exist HERE.  It  exists THERE...in the
anti-universe on the underside of the bagel.  Those  two universes were once one.
They will be one again someday...when they  meet on the bagel's outer limit, its
periphery.  So it makes sense that the  math of this cosmos--our cosmos--has
to use the math of the negative cosmos,  too.  The matter universe and the
anti-matter universe are twins and will  continue to be connected--even if only
distantly--so long as they both  exist.
________
Now  for the articles on the ways in which information could slip through a
singularity--
Retrieved January 20, 2005, from the World Wide Web
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18524836.500  Free E-Zines  Subscribe to Magazine
Customer Service 21 January 2005  Black holes, but not as we know them 22  January
2005  From New Scientist  Print Edition. Subscribe and get 4 free issues.  JR
Minkel  JR Minkel is a writer in New York  City  More Stories Explore:
fundamentals  Explore: space  Enlarge  image Black hole revolution  Enlarge  image
Black holesTHEY are the most fearsome objects in the universe. They  swallow and
destroy everything that crosses their path. Everyone knows that  falling into
a black hole spells doom. Or does it? In the past few years, cracks  have
started to appear in the conventional picture. Researchers on the quest for  a
more complete understanding of our universe are finding that black holes are  not
so black, and perhaps not holes either. Furious debates are raging over what
black holes contain and even whether they deserve the name.  The term "black
hole" was coined in the  1960s by physicist John Wheeler to describe what
happens when matter is piled  into an infinitely dense point in space-time. When a
star runs out of nuclear  fuel, for example, the waste that remains collapses
in on itself, fast and hard.  The gravitational attraction of this matter can
overwhelm its natural tendency  to repel itself. If the star is big enough,
the result will be a singularity.  Around the singularity lies an event
horizon, a point of no return. Light cannot  escape once it passes beyond this
boundary, and the eventual fate of everything  within it is to be crushed into the
singularity.  But this picture always contained the  seeds of its own
destruction. In 1975 Stephen Hawking at the University of  Cambridge calculated that
black holes would slowly but inexorably evaporate.  According to the laws of
quantum mechanics, pairs of "virtual" particles and  antiparticles continually
bubble up in empty space. Hawking showed that the  gravitational energy of the
black hole could be lent to virtual particles near  the event horizon. These
could then become real, and escape, carrying away  positive energy in the form
of "Hawking radiation". Over time, the black hole  will bleed away into outer
space.  This led to a problem dubbed the information paradox. While relativity
seems to suggest that information about matter falling into a black hole
would  be lost, quantum mechanics seemed to be suggesting it would eventually
escape. Hawking claimed the random nature of Hawking radiation meant that  while
energy could escape, information could not. But last summer, he changed  his
mind (New Scientist, 17 July 2004, p 11). His reversal was just one part  of a
larger movement to rethink the rules that govern black holes.  Much of the
impetus for this rethink  comes from string theory, our best attempt to unify
general relativity and  quantum mechanics. Now 20 years old, string theory posits
that space-time,  and everything in it, is composed of vibrating strings so
small we will be lucky  ever to get evidence of their existence. Its big appeal
is the promise that it  could unite general relativity and quantum mechanics,
because one type of string  carries the force of gravity, while the vibration
of the strings is random, as  predicted by quantum mechanics.  String theory
was first applied to black holes in the mid-1990s.  Andrew Strominger and
Cumrun Vafa of Harvard University began to work on the  information paradox by
imagining what the inside of a black hole might be like.  The researchers found
that string theory would allow them to build highly dense  little structures
from strings and other objects in string theory, some of which  had more than
three dimensions. These structures worked just like black holes:  their
gravitational pull prevents light escaping from them.  “The number of ways strings can
be  arranged in black holes is amazingly large”Strominger and Vafa counted
how  many ways the strings in these black holes could be arranged, and found
this was  amazingly large.  The calculation  was heralded as a huge validation
for string theory. In the 1970s, Hawking and  Jacob Bekenstein, then at
Princeton University, had calculated the entropy of a  black hole using quantum
mechanics. The entropy of an object is roughly a  measure of the amount of
information it can contain. In particular, it measures  the number of different ways
the parts making up an object can be arranged. It  just so happened that the
number of ways that Strominger and Vafa calculated  that strings could be
arranged in a black hole exactly matched the entropy  calculated by Hawking and
Bekenstein.  Fuzzballs But this did not tell physicists how those strings were
arranged. Over the past year, Samir Mathur of Ohio State University and his
colleagues have begun to look at what string configurations there could be  in
black holes. They found that the strings would always connect together to  form a
large, very floppy string, which would be much larger than a point-size
singularity.  Mathur's group  calculated the total physical sizes of several
stringy black holes, which they  prefer to call "fuzzballs" or "stringy stars". To
his surprise, they found they  were the same size as the event horizon is in
traditional theory. "It is  changing our picture of the black hole interior,"
says Mathur. "It would  really mean the picture of the round hole with a black
dot in the centre is  wrong."  Mathur's fuzzball does away  with the idea of
the event horizon as a sharp boundary. In the traditional  view, the event
horizon is a well-defined limit. Objects passing particular  points in space at
particular moments in time are guaranteed to end up being  pulverised at the
black hole singularity. In the fuzzball picture, the event  horizon is a frothing
mass of strings, not a sharp boundary.  The fuzzball picture also challenges
the  idea that a black hole destroys information. In Mathur's description,
there is  no singularity. The mass of strings reaches all the way to the fuzzy
event  horizon. This means information can be stored in  the strings and
imprinted on outgoing Hawking radiation.  So what happens to the information that
falls into a black hole? Imagine pouring cream into black coffee. Drop  the
coffee and cream into the old-style black hole and they will go to the
singularity and be lost. You will never see the results of the mixture. But drop  your
coffee and cream onto a Mathur fuzzball and information about the  cream-coffee
mixture will be encoded into string vibrations. Hawking radiation  that comes
out can carry detailed information about what happened to each  particle of
cream and every particle of coffee. "There's no information  problem. It's like
any other ball of cotton," says Mathur. This picture is very  preliminary,
cautions Vafa. Mathur has not yet calculated exactly how his model  applies to
large black holes or understood how a black hole evolves over  time.  Gary
Horowitz of the  University of California, Santa Barbara, and Juan Maldacena of
the Institute for  Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey, also recently
proposed that information  can get out of a black hole. But unlike Mathur, they
believe that black holes do  contain a singularity at their heart. They suggested
that information might  escape by means of quantum teleportation. This allows
the state of one  particle to be instantly teleported to another. So Horowitz
and Maldacena  suggested that information could pass from matter hitting the
singularity to  outgoing Hawking radiation.  “The  most information any black
hole would possibly retain is just half a bit -  everything else will
eventually escape”But to make their calculation work, they  had to assume that
infalling matter and outgoing radiation would not collide  with each other. If they
did, this could disrupt the teleportation process.  Quantum information
theorists Daniel Gottesman of the Perimeter Institute for  Theoretical Physics in
Waterloo, Canada, and John Preskill of the California  Institute of Technology in
Pasadena say such disruption could occur very  easily.  That seems to raise a
problem for Horowitz and Maldacena. But last summer, Seth Lloyd of the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology worked out that all such disruptions would
actually cancel each other out. Then Lloyd calculated that the most information
 a black hole would possibly retain permanently was just half a bit -
everything  else will eventually escape. This applies to all black holes, whether
they are  supermassive ones at the heart of a galaxy (see "Giants of the
universe") or  mini black holes created in a particle accelerator (see "Baby black
holes").  But Gottesman and Preskill  have a second criticism that might be more
fatal to the teleportation picture.  They showed that the effect could allow
faster-than-light communication, which  is taboo in relativity. The
teleportation calculation relies on the  assumption that every piece of matter inside a
black hole has the same quantum  state. Although quantum mechanics allows one
particle to have an  instantaneous effect on the quantum state of another,
this cannot be used to  communicate. For example, if one person, Alice, measures
the quantum state of a  particle that is linked with a particle held by her
friend, Bob, the effect of  this measurement will be instantaneously
communicated to Bob's, but there is no  way to use this to communicate faster than light,
because Alice needs to tell  Bob what kind of measurement process she carried
out on her particle, before he  can decode the meaning of the change he sees.
That information has to travel  to Bob in the normal way.  Black  hole
communication However, if Alice throws her particle into a black hole,  the
researchers found the measurement will be immediately constrained to the  quantum
state of the black hole. This would have an effect on Bob's particle  that he
could determine without needing the extra information from Alice.  Gottesman
concludes that the teleportation idea cannot work very well.  Indeed, he wonders if
 the framing of the information paradox is wrong in a way that is not yet
understood. "My own guess is somehow we're asking a stupid question," he  says.
The scenario also  bothers quantum-gravity theorist Ted Jacobson of the
University of Maryland, who  still believes that the information that falls into
black holes is lost forever  to those outside the black hole. He finds the
teleportation picture particularly  unconvincing. "I put it in the category of
desperate attempts to make  information come out," he says. And even the
researchers themselves aren't sure  they are right. "We suggested one possibility,"
says Horowitz, but he admits it  doesn't have a good basis in string theory yet.
"So I can't say we are confident  this is the right picture."  Jacobson argues
that the connection between the outside and inside of a  black hole is so
complicated in string theory that no one can be sure they have  ruled out the
possibility of information leaking out of our space-time. People  may be simply
assuming the conclusion that they want for their own reasons. "I  see no
problem with letting the darn stuff fall down the drain. Why are people  so afraid
of the singularity?"  The  problem, says Vafa, is that the concept of
information could be very subtle in  string theory, and not yet well-defined.
"Information loss is a critical  question, but our understanding of black holes is too
primitive."  So whether information can escape from  black holes or is
destroyed remains a topic of intense debate. But there might  turn out to be a third
option. One competing theory to string theory is  called loop quantum gravity,
pioneered by, among others, Lee Smolin of the  Perimeter Institute in
Waterloo, Canada. It proposes that space-time  is constructed of loops even smaller
than strings. Joining loops together  creates a mesh of nodes and branches
called a spin network. The  advantage of this model is that space-time itself can
be  built out of these networks instead of having to be assumed, as it is in
string theory.  Abhay Ashtekar  of Pennsylvania State University in Pittsburgh
and Martin Bojowald of the Max  Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics in
Golm, Germany, have studied a  model of a black hole created using spin
networks. They found the equations that  describe space-time continue to apply in
an orderly way even at the singularity  itself. This is very different to the
conventional picture, in which the  equations of physics break down when
space-time collapses. It means that information that  reaches the singularity could
survive there, encoded in the spin  networks. As far as Ashtekar and Bojowald
can tell, the  information trapped in a black hole will be unable to escape
via Hawking  radiation. Wait long enough, however, and it will survive,
eventually rejoining  the rest of the universe when the black hole evaporates.  So
whatever the theory that eventually  supersedes relativity, it seems a good
possibility that black holes may be just  a little less dramatic than we thought.
After all, who's afraid of a big ball of  string?  From issue 2483 of New
Scientist magazine, 22 January 2005, page 28 Giants of the universe While debate
rages over what black holes really are, the astronomical evidence that every
galaxy is built around a supermassive black hole is stronger than ever.
Observations made with the Hubble Space  Telescope have found that every galaxy has
a mass at its core millions of times  as massive as our sun. The bigger this
mass, the larger the size of the  "galactic bulge" - the number of stars
clustered around the galactic  centre.  The speed with which stars  orbit the
centre of a galaxy reveals the mass of the object they are  orbiting, and very
careful measurements can reveal its size too. For a  handful of galaxies,
including the Milky Way, the central mass is known to be  crammed into a space just a
few times as wide as the distance between the Earth  and the sun, indicating
that what lies within is so dense, it must be a black  hole.  Some young
galaxies emit  copious amounts of high-energy radio and X-ray radiation. Lines in
X-ray spectra  taken from these objects are shifted as if the rays had struggled
to escape from  the strong gravitational field of a supermassive black hole.
The closest object to the centre of our  galaxy is a bright, compact source
of radiation known as Sagittarius A*. X-ray  flares coming from it, and picked
up by the Chandra X-ray telescope, are thought  to be the dying gasps of
matter falling into a supermassive black hole.  Baby black holes You don't have to
go to  space to find a black hole: mini versions could be created to order,
right here  on Earth. That's what some physicists claim will be possible using
the world's  most powerful particle accelerator, due to turn on in 2007.
Currently under construction at the  CERN laboratory in Geneva, the Large Hadron
Collider will smash protons  together with a collision energy of 14,000 billion
electronvolts. This might  just be enough to create several black holes every
second, provided some  strange ideas about unknown physics turn out to be
right. Each mini wonder would  weigh no more than a few micrograms and be smaller
than a speck of dust.  A black hole is thought to form when the  core of a
massive star collapses under its own weight and is crushed to a point.  Vast
amounts of matter weighing more than a few suns are needed to produce  gravity
strong enough for this to happen.  Yet the special theory of relativity gives a
clue to making black holes  in the laboratory. Einstein used the theory to show
that energy is equivalent  to matter. So black holes should also pop into
existence when vast amounts of  energy are concentrated into a point, and that's
exactly what happens when  particles smash together at extreme energies.  But
there's a snag. According to our  existing knowledge of particles and the
forces that operate between them, the  minimum energy needed to make a black hole
this way is 10 million billion times  more than LHC can produce. And the
chances of ever building a particle  accelerator that can reach such energies are
virtually nil.  In the past few years though, the  prospects for making black
holes in the lab have improved. This is down  to a theory that says  gravity is
actually much stronger than we think. Huge masses are needed for the  force
of gravity to become important in everyday life, and this feebleness  puzzles
physicists. Some suggest that it can be explained if space has extra,
invisible dimensions that only gravity can reach. The  gravitational force leaks away
into them, while our universe and the  particles spewing out of accelerators
are trapped in three dimensions, rather  like specks of dust on the surface of
a soap bubble.  If the idea is right, gravity could  be much stronger when it
applies over distances so small that there is no chance  of leakage into other
dimensions. Pack enough energy into a 10-20-metre  space and it could be
enough to create a black hole.  These mini curiosities will evaporate  within
10-26 seconds, losing most of their mass by radiating energy, as  predicted by
Stephen Hawking. A group led by Roberto Emparan at the University  of the Basque
Country in Bilbao, Spain, calculated that most of this Hawking  radiation
should appear as particles that can be spotted by detectors. If  Emparan is right,
the LHC could provide the first evidence for Hawking radiation  from a black
hole.  A computer  simulation devised by Bryan Webber at the University of
Cambridge and others  creates mini black holes from LHC-style collisions. The
simulation shows that  the structures should decay into a large number of
high-energy particles, which  would be sprayed all over the detector. If the theory
is right, researchers  expect to see many more of these striking events than
they might otherwise. By  measuring the energy and momentum of the particles
radiated, they hope to  measure the mass of the mini marvels.  Valerie Jamieson
New  Scientist magazine © Copyright Reed Business Information Ltd.  Home
Breaking News Explore by Subject  Special Reports Back Page Subscribe Archive RSS
Jobs

----------
Howard Bloom
Author of The Lucifer Principle: A  Scientific Expedition Into the Forces of
History and Global Brain: The Evolution  of Mass Mind From The Big Bang to the
21st Century
Visiting Scholar-Graduate  Psychology Department, New York University; Core
Faculty Member, The Graduate  Institute
www.howardbloom.net
www.bigbangtango.net
Founder:  International Paleopsychology Project; founding board member: Epic
of Evolution  Society; founding board member, The Darwin Project; founder: The
Big Bang Tango  Media Lab; member: New York Academy of Sciences, American
Association for the  Advancement of Science, American Psychological Society,
Academy of Political  Science, Human Behavior and Evolution Society, International
Society for Human  Ethology; advisory board member: Youthactivism.org;
executive editor -- New  Paradigm book series.
For information on The International Paleopsychology  Project, see:
www.paleopsych.org
for two chapters from
The Lucifer  Principle: A Scientific Expedition Into the Forces of History,
see  www.howardbloom.net/lucifer
For information on Global Brain: The Evolution of  Mass Mind from the Big
Bang to the 21st Century, see  www.howardbloom.net