[Paleopsych] love, hate

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. ljohnson at solution-consulting.com
Tue Jan 25 05:58:11 UTC 2005

You know I am not wild about Bush but:
    - He got over 62 million votes, the most in history
    - he was elected with a majority, something Clinton never had
    - he was clear about his goals, such as social security reform and
constructionist judges
    - he was elected in the middle of a very ugly and messy war, in
spite of people not being supportive of what he is doing there.

    I think it is we who need to listen. I intend to. I mentioned I
would try to influence pro-life people who characterize abortion as
murder. I can  do that because I am part of the in-group, someone who is
horrified by the notion of abortion. The only way to do that is through
persuasion and reason, through joining and then influencing. An
historian in my home town said if you want to influence a herd of
cattle, you cannot ride in the middle, and you cannot ride far away. You
have to ride on the edge. I don't view abortion as equal to murder, and
talk of that disturbs me, but I am on the edge, where I can say, Let's
put ourselves in the shoes of a desperate woman. She needs choices, not
condemnation. Let's give her choices, including some attractive adoption
possibilities.
    The people have spoken, and as a Democrat, you ought to follow
Jefferson's direction and honor the voice of the people. I ask you to
join with me and influence through kindness and understanding. It is a
better way. Search your heart and ask yourself if I am not inviting you
to a better way of life.
Lynn