[Paleopsych] Meme 044: The Collapse of the SSSM (Standard Social Science Model)

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Mon Jul 18 00:17:01 UTC 2005

Meme 044: The Collapse of the SSSM (Standard Social Science Model)
sent 5.7.17

Communism collapsed mighty rapidly, from the victory of Solidarity in Poland in
1989 June to the opening of the Berlin Wall in November that year, just five
months later. (The USSR itself lingered on until 1991 December 8.) One
unremarked miracle is that well-nigh irrepressible urge of politicians to make
hot air was suppressed: I remember no speeches from Communist politicians about
how beneficial communism is, how moral it is, how it should be given another
try.

We are witnessing an equally sudden collapse of the Standard Social Science
Model, the idea that human social organization has little or nothing to do with
human biology. The SSSM holds that the human brain is a domain-general learning
mechanism (also called a blank slate (tabula rasa after John Locke)), rather
than a network of domain-specific mechanisms that guide learning in ways that
were practical in our evolutionary past. If the SSSM is true, then people can
learn almost anything and culture can establish almost any rules that social
scientists want. (The power implications should be obvious.)

What kept communism going was that it suppressed its critics, though the time
of fervent belief had long since passed. By the fall of the Berlin wall there
were more truly-believing communists in West German universities than in the
whole of East Germany. Criticism of the SSSM had been building ever since the
work of Nikolaus Tinbergen and Konrad Lorenz in the comparative study of animal
behavior ("ethology") in the 1950s suggested application to human societies,
leading to E.O. Wilson's _Sociobiology_ in 1975. Still, in most university
departments in sociology and the humanities (not so much in psychology), the
SSSM reigns by severely sanctioning those who inject biology into their
studies, on the grounds of racism or reductionism.

What is happening now is the rapid fall of suppression (though not the hot
air). The last five months have witnessed publication in major journals on the
hereditability of political attitudes, the superior intelligence of Ashkenazi
Jews, the different cognitive abilities among races generally (this was
recently really taboo), and rehabilitation of individual responsibility
(striking, since the SSSM ignores free will along with biology). These articles
would not have been published in major journals just a few years ago. The
Berlin Wall in academia having fallen, there is a flood of them.

But the best evidence, perhaps, is that the article I recently sent, Different
Emotional Reactions to Different Groups: A Sociofunctional Threat-Based
Approach to "Prejudice," by Cottrell, Catherine A., and Neuberg, Steven L.,
_Journal of Personality and Social Psychology_, 2005 May, does indeed invoke
sociobiology in explaining the wide varieties of prejudice as evolutionary
adaptations, as opposed to purely cultural ones. The amazing thing is that
paper is really a Big Mac journal article:

"Virtually all research articles have a predictable format--review of the
literature, hypotheses, methodology, results, tables, interpretation,
conclusion, footnotes and references. [He forgot to add plea for more funding.]
Reading the typical American research article offers the same kinds of
gratification as eating a Big Mac for lunch. The sociologist knows exactly what
to expect and where each component of the article will be found, just as the
customer knows that the Big Mac will include a bun, burger, pickle, relish, and
"special sauce," as well as where each element is to be found if one cared to
deconstruct the burger. There is great satisfaction in knowing precisely what
can be expected in one's lunch and in what reads before, after, or even with
that lunch. Since they are both highly rationalized, a Big Mac and the typical
research article in an American journal go well together at lunchtime. (In
contrast, it would be ludicrous to try to read the latest, non-rationalized
books of Pierre Bourdieu or Jurgen Habermas over such a lunch.) It is nice to
know that there will be no big surprises--Big Macs and research articles almost
always deliver precisely what is expected, no less, but also--and most
tellingly and damningly--no more" (George Ritzer, _The McDonaldization Thesis__
(London: Sage Publications, 1998), p. 40).

Having read the article--well, not thoroughly: only the author and the peer
reviewers give these articles a thorough reading--I can report that the whole
backdrop of the actual experiment with college students could just as easily
been couched in SSSM or even Freudian terms as in sociobiological ones. The
experiment itself only showed that there are different kinds of prejudice,
depending on the kinds of threats the object of prejudice is seen to have. It
seems quite surprising that this variability had not been studied before, but
it's easy to get an article placed if you make conduct a slightly different
experiment and thoroughly follow the Big Mac article procedures.

What's remarkable, as far as the collapse the forces that suppressed critics of
the SSSM goes, is that authors can now get away with attacking the SSSM and
substituting the rhetoric of evolutionary psychology. I use the term rhetoric,
even though I buy into e.p. explanations generally, fully aware of their
limitations. Being better than the SSSM does not mean perfection. I also
realize that the social layer is to some extent (in some cases, a great extent)
independent at least in the short term from biology. There is no reduction of
Die große Fuge to Beethoven's synapses. Biology constrains what can happen and
how fast society can change.

I won't say much about the political fallout, since political lag is the
severest form of culture lag. We're seeing the rise of Big God--here we really
need sociological explanations, for biological explanations speak of a "god
gene" (no, the biological explanations are not *that* reductive) but not of
*changes* in the political landscape over a few decades--and may be seeing the
rise of Big White, the first due to the failure of secularists to come up with
an adequately strict morality suitable to carry individuals through periods of
rapid change, the latter in reaction to Affirmative Action programs and to
immigration, lately of Muslims with
their competing Big God issues.

I'm going to concentrate on the sudden collapse of the SSSM and send out
articles relevant to this historic event. This will come at the expense of most
of what I've been sending out. (I badly need to catch up with my own
forwardings and have 300 e-mails backed up. Let me know if there is something
you very specifically want a response to. You often just send casual remarks. I
do not intend to ignore my critics, in fact, I thrive on them. So please repeat
what you most want me to respond to. Otherwise, I'll assume you have figured
out your own answers!) I'll drop most of the short-term political stuff and the
merely routine complaining. I'll drop most of the stuff on technological
advances. (Send me an e-mail for my own best sources.) I will continue to watch
for thoughtful articles on long-term social trends, such the Americanization of
the world and the resistance to same.

Below are some paragraphs I've grabbed on the SSSM.

Harold Fromm: The New Darwinism in the Humanities
http://www.hudsonreview.com/frommSpSu03.html

The orthodoxy that triggers revolt for Cosmides and Tooby can be represented by
a remark by Emile Durkheim from 1895, a sentiment whose influence shaped the
social sciences for almost a century: Collective representations, emotions, and
tendencies are caused not by certain states of the consciousness of individuals
but by the conditions in which the social group, in its totality, is placed.
Such actions can, of course materialize only if the individual natures are not
resistant to them; but these individual natures are merely the indeterminate
material that the social factor molds and transforms. [Emphasis added by
Cosmides and Tooby.] From this are generated the two most powerful themes of
The Adapted Mind: the Standard Social Science Model, or SSSM, and the blank
slate:

The Standard Social Science Model requires an impossible psychology. Results
out of cognitive psychology, evolutionary biology, artificial intelligence,
developmental psychology, linguistics, and philosophy converge on the same
conclusion: A psychological architecture that consisted of nothing but
equipotential, general-purpose, content-independent, or content-free mechanisms
could not successfully perform the tasks the human mind is known to perform or
solve the adaptive problems humans evolved to solvefrom seeing, to learning a
language, to recognizing an emotional expression, to selecting a mate, to the
many disparate activities aggregated under the term learning culture. . . .
Although most psychologists were faintly aware that hominids lived for millions
of years as hunter-gatherers or foragers, they did not realize that this had
theoretical implications for their work. More to the point, however, the logic
of the Standard Social Science Model informed them that humans were more or
less blank slates for which no task was more natural than any other.

The appeal of the SSSM is that it provides a rationale for social engineering
and political correctness, for promulgating such egalitarian absurdities as the
doctrine that there are no substantive psychological differences between the
sexes, a doctrine that has finally run its course. Or as Cosmides and Tooby put
it, A program of social melioration carried out in ignorance of human complex
design is something like letting a blindfolded individual loose in an operating
room with a scalpelthere is likely to be more blood than healing. Rhetorically
asking how it is possible for pre-linguistic children to deduce the meanings of
the words they hear when they are in the process of learning their local
language for the first time, they reply that infants powers of interpretation
must be supplied by the human universal metaculture the infant or child shares
with adults by virtue of their common humanity, in other words, their evolved
nature.

-------------------

The description of evolutionary psychology from the latest edition of
Microsoft's Encarta Encyclopaedia:

INTRODUCTION

Evolutionary Psychology, the notion that the human mind is the product of
evolution and has therefore developed innate psychological mechanisms that are
typical of the human species. This relatively new field of study stands in
marked contrast to the standard social science model (SSSM) which has tended to
portray the human mind as a general-purpose computer to be programmed by
random, culture-specific determinants (the "blank slate" thesis).

This new branch of psychology grew out of developments in the late 20th century
in a number of quite disparate disciplines including evolutionary biology,
palaeoanthropology, and cognitive psychology. Evolutionary psychologists have
used findings from each of these fields of research to argue that a universal
human nature lies just below the surface of cultural variability.

While the SSSM emphasizes the flexibility of human learning, social
environment, and random cultural processes, evolutionary psychologists believe
that such flexibility consists of a number of tendencies to learn particular
skills and to do so at various, specific ages. Evolutionary psychologists do
not dispute the importance of learning, but attempt to explain the process in
terms of innate mechanisms. Likewise, evolutionary psychology stresses the
importance of culture, but, rather than defining culture as a random force, it
sees it as the way in which humans are aided in acquiring skills that
potentially enhance fitness and, therefore, the abili ty to survive longer than
others and produce fit offspring.