[Paleopsych] American Enterprise: Conformity on Campus

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Fri Jun 10 23:43:15 UTC 2005

Conformity on Campus
American Enterprise, 2005 June
http://www.theamericanenterprise.org/issues/articleID.18528/article_detail.asp

First, the summary from CHE:

News bulletin from the Chronicle of Higher Education, 5.6.9
http://chronicle.com/prm/daily/2005/06/2005060901j.htm
Magazine & Journal Reader

    A glance at the June issue of The American Enterprise: The bully
    pulpit in academe

    Not only do an increasing number of professors at colleges around the
    country have liberal political affiliations, they are bringing their
    politics into the classroom, to the detriment of their students, three
    authors argue.

    Anne D. Neal, president of the American Council of Trustees and
    Alumni, a national group that advocates a traditional curriculum,
    describes a study that her organization commissioned of undergraduates
    from 50 of the top-ranked colleges in the country. She reports that
    almost a third of the respondents said that they felt that they had to
    agree with their professor's political stance to get a good grade.
    Forty-six percent said that professors used the classroom to present
    their political views. Such responses came not only from
    conservatives, she writes, adding that a majority were from students
    who identified themselves as liberal.

    "One simply cannot deny, after these findings, that faculty are
    importing politics into their teaching in a way that affects a
    student's ability to learn," she writes.

    David A. French, president of the Foundation for Individual Rights in
    Education, says that his organization "received more than 500 credible
    complaints of deprivation of civil liberties" on campuses last year,
    and that most of the complaints concerned suppression of speech by
    those on the "left."

    "We're reaching a tipping point," he writes. "The higher-education
    establishment will either open itself back up to the full marketplace
    of ideas, or it will see its ivy-covered walls battered down by force
    -- whether class-action litigation or extreme legislation."

    The article also includes an excerpt from an essay written for The New
    York Observer by Fred Siegel, a professor of history at the Cooper
    Union in New York City.

    "Far from teaching the mechanics of knowledge," Mr. Siegel writes,
    college professors "are in fact preachers of sorts, spreading a gospel
    akin to that of Howard Dean."

    The article, "Conformity on Campus," is online at
    [53]http://www.theamericanenterprise.org/issues/articleID.18528/articl
    e_detail.asp

    --Eric Wills

    Background articles from The Chronicle:
      * [54]Left-Wing Bias in Education Schools Is Overstated by
        Conservative Critics, 2 Reports Suggest (5/26/2005)
      * [55]Conservative Professors Are Less Likely to Advance in Academe,
        Study Finds (3/31/2005)
      * [56]This Just In: Democrats Outnumber Republicans on American
        Faculties, Studies Find (11/19/2004)
      * [57]Conservatives in a Liberal Landscape (9/24/2004)
      * [58]Patrolling Professors' Politics (2/13/2004)

    Opinion:
      * [59]When Students Complain About Professors, Who Gets to Define
        the Controversy? (5/13/2005)
      * [60]Conservatives, Too, Are Politicizing Campuses (3/18/2005)
      * [61]Liberal Groupthink Is Anti-Intellectual (11/12/2004)