[Paleopsych] islamic radicalism

Paul J. Werbos, Dr. paul.werbos at verizon.net
Mon Mar 7 01:00:19 UTC 2005

At 04:40 PM 3/6/2005, Steve Hovland wrote:
>In spite of all the propaganda about al Qaeda
>leadership in Iraq, the truth is that the insurgency
>is being led by the professionals of Iraq's
>old army.
>
>They are fighting a war of attrition and they have
>the British cemetary in Baghdad as proof that they
>did it once and can do it again.

We have occasionally commented on the way in which wishful thinking and
narcissism
have caused less than optimal policies by the current Administration -- and
on pobbilities
to be more effective.

But Bush is certainly not the only human being in this situation.

As I understand it, the Baathist leadership and Al Queida are engaged
in a very ancient kind of "dance," in the spirit of old Fu Manchu movies.
Each thinks it has the longest knife ready to strike into the back of the
other,
unseen and unprepared for.

In my view, the Al Quieda and its allies have the longer knives, in places
where the Baathists would never see them until too late.

It is a shame, in a way, because the original premises of the baathists seemed
a lot more progressive that a lot of what we see now in the area, in certain
key respects. They might have a lot to contribute as a PART
of a democratic state, if some of the corruption of recent decades could be
cleansed/reduced.   But corruption is hard to recover from
quickly after many, many years.

My suggestion of an "Iraqi Sovereignty Recognition Act,"
as a way of ADDRESSING the Sunni request for a definite withdrawal
timetable, might have helped in the recovery.

Whatever.

Best of luck to us all...

    Paul