[Paleopsych] islamic radicalism

Val Geist kendulf at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 10 22:41:14 UTC 2005

Dear Friends,

When I learned Russian everyone about me spoke it, and my aunt praised me
for speaking with the accent of a Muscovite. When I learned German I was
discouraged from speaking Russian, as it was not safe and even a six-year
old can sense it among red and black banners and arms raised in "Heil
Hitler". When I learned English and French, it was because my class learned
it as it was part of the curriculum - full stop! When I lost my French it
was because my high school French teacher in Regina, Saskatchewan, spoke the
language less well than I did, and I had nobody to talk to. My Quebecoise
grandchildren speak French fluently, and I have not been able to re-learn,
courtesy of nobody to talk to here in the boonies in the west. English is my
primary language now, and German colleagues are envious because I can so
readily publish in English. However, I am angered and saddened by their
denial of their German as so much that is relevant in my interests is found
only in German. And I appreciate as an author the strengths and weaknesses
of German and of English. I could not function without the latter in the
modern world, but imperialism? I never saw it that way. If I could get a bit
more time I would gladly learn another language, provided I can live in it
and imbibe the culture that goes with it. And when I get mad at the USA, and
that happens ever so often, I think back to the GI who sat down on the edge
of my bed the day the Sherman tanks raced into our village, pulled out his
K-rations and gave me something to eat. And the care packages that
brightened our days and in the uncertainty gave us hope for a better world.
And I am not surprised that the first choice of many Palestinians is to
emigrate to the United States, and barring that.......

Sincerely, Val Geist