[Paleopsych] Protecting nuclear power plants in an age of unbridled terrorism (commentary by Russell Hoffman, October 22nd, 2001)

Steve Hovland shovland at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 11 03:37:40 UTC 2005

Protecting nuclear power plants in an age of unbridled terrorism
(commentary by Russell Hoffman, October 22nd, 2001)
 </environm/onofre/index.htm>

To: listen at ajc.com
From: "Russell D. Hoffman" <rhoffman at animatedsoftware.com>
Subject: Protecting nuclear power plants in an age of unbridled terrorism

To: Editor, Atlantic Journal-Constitution
From: Russell Hoffman, Concerned Citizen, Carlsbad CA
Date: October 22nd, 2001

To The Editor:

Regarding the opinion piece published in your paper yesterday (and shown
below), posting National Guard troops around our nuclear power plants would
only be of limited value. What we need are much better physical barriers
(earthen berms, concrete gates, etc.), more firepower for the defenders
(perhaps National Guard troops) including anti-aircraft missiles, we need
absolute enforcement of a no-fly zone around each plant (at least 25 miles
in radius -- that gives you about 2 minutes unless the terrorists have
hijacked a Concorde), and the plants need to all be shut down permanently
because they are much more robust once the control rods are inserted, and
over time they become more and more resistant to terrorist acts, or acts of
God for that matter.

Each plant is operating at risk of catastrophic failures, from earthquakes,
from tsunamis for the coastal plants, from tornados, operator error,
embrittlement and many other things. NONE of them have proper protections.
For example tsunamis are known to reach heights of 200 feet regularly, even
1800 feet, but the tsunami wall at my local nuclear power plant (San Onofre
Nuclear Generating Station) is only 35 feet tall. Similarly, it's design
basis is a 7.0 earthquake but new evidence suggests that 7.6 earthquakes
are possible here.

Please read some of the essays I've posted online regarding the many
reasons we need to switch NOW to renewable energy solutions.

Thank you.

Russell Hoffman
Concerned Citizen
P.O. Box 1936