[Paleopsych] islamic radicalism

G. Reinhart-Waller waluk at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 11 19:21:25 UTC 2005

Dear Val,

I'm always pleased to answer considerate emails like
the kind you write and I will do my best to try solving
your puzzle.

Yes, I can relate to the emotional rush you feel when
you read Russian or listen to Russian folk songs.  The
same thing happens to me when I recall the East Coast,
particularly Massachusetts where I was born, and
educated and the place where I raised my daughter.
When I hear a song from my teen or college years and
later, I undergo horrible pangs of nostalgia.  Now I
rarely listen to stereo or radio.  A life without music
for me is both dismal and depressing.

When I watch young mothers walk hand in hand with their
children.....I recall the play groups or afternoons at
the beach that my daughter and I would spend together
building forts and castles in the sand.  I watch in
envy as these new moms gather together in play groups
or stroller exercise classes and wonder what it must be
like raising an infant in our apartment compound.

My friends and family continue residing back East but
after my father's death, our family lost contact so
other than visiting an old friend in Cambridge, I have
no need to make contact with them.  When I search
Public Library shelves for a text, I recall my
educational training and the many years I spent hanging
out in the numerous uni. libraries back east.  There
are times when the loneliness is so powerful that I
need to leave the library as quickly as possible.  I do
live close to a major private university here in
California but their libraries actually contain very
few books....lots of computer terminals though.

Each day I wait for a change in the weather but other
than cloudy mornings most of the year is bright
sunshine with the same boring places to walk or drive
to.  On the days I go grocery shopping I spend a brief
while planning a menu for the week and that's when I
can actually taste treats from back East....pastrami on
rye with a sour pickle or deep fried clams or shrimp
always pop into my head.  So does an evening ice cream
cone from the local dairy stand.   I then sink so low
that it takes a good while to raise my spirits before I
trek to the market.

For you my advice would be to spend time in Moscow and
reacquaint yourself with the area.  Maybe you could
find some type of employment or if you are in
retirement, a place to volunteer or an institution with
which to affiliate.

For me, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my daughter
soon will graduate in her PhD program here and will be
looking for a job.....once that has been settled, I can
better gain a glimpse into my future.

Hope this helps.
Gerry Reinhart-Waller