[Paleopsych] Fantastic Voyage: The Biotechnology Revolution

Steve Hovland shovland at mindspring.com
Sat Mar 12 01:33:36 UTC 2005

As we learn how information is transformed in biological processes, many
strategies are emerging for overcoming disease and aging processes. We'll
review some of the more promising approaches here, and then discuss further
examples in the chapters ahead. One powerful approach is to start with
biology's information backbone: the genome. With gene technologies, we're
now on the verge of being able to control how genes express themselves.
Ultimately, we will actually be able to change the genes themselves.
We are already deploying gene technologies in other species. Using a method
called recombinant technology, which is being used commercially to provide
many new pharmaceutical drugs, the genes of organisms ranging from bacteria
to farmyard animals are being modified to produce the proteins we need to
combat human diseases.
http://www.fantastic-voyage.net/Chapter2.htm