[Paleopsych] Fantastic Voyage- Bridge Three: Nanotechnology and Artificial Intelligence

Steve Hovland shovland at mindspring.com
Sat Mar 12 01:36:43 UTC 2005

As we "reverse engineer" (understand the principles of operation behind)
our biology, we will apply our technology to augment and redesign our
bodies and brains to radically extend longevity, enhance our health, and
expand our intelligence and experiences. Much of this technological
development will be the result of research into nanotechnology, a term
originally coined by K. Eric Drexler in the 1970s to describe the study of
objects whose smallest features are less than 100 nanometers (billionths of
a meter). A nanometer equals roughly the diameter of five carbon atoms.
Rob Freitas, a nanotechnology theorist, writes, "The comprehensive
knowledge of human molecular structure so painstakingly acquired during the
20th and early 21st centuries will be used in the 21st century to design
medically active microscopic machines. These machines, rather than being
tasked primarily with voyages of pure discovery, will instead most often be
sent on missions of cellular inspection, repair, and reconstruction."35

http://www.fantastic-voyage.net/Chapter1.htm

http://www.fantastic-voyage.net/Chapter2.htm

http://www.fantastic-voyage.net/Chapter3.htm