[Paleopsych] RE: San Francisco?

Steve Hovland shovland at mindspring.com
Sat Mar 12 16:41:27 UTC 2005

Genentech is the mother ship of biotech,
and I know they have big efforts going on
in terms of ERP, on-line training, and in
documenting their systems.

They are hiring people every day, as are
other biotechs.

The energy level is very high and they
are rolling in money.

Like other companies in the Bay Area
they have an international staff.

Amgen is also quite large, but based
in Los Angeles, which is very polluted.

There are about 100 biotechs on the
peninsula and another 70 in the East
Bay.  Some of them are very small
and some are probably fronts for
Chinese spying.

If you worked at Genentech for 5 years
then you could take your pick of the
other biotechs.

Make sure you read my posts about
the "Fantastic Voyage."  It gives you
some insight into the potential.

Biotech is an industry, but nanotech
is a technology.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind
about biotech being the next big thing.
They can now grow proteins to do all
kinds of things, and there are further
levels to go.  Right now they are working
at the cell level, but in the future they
will be working at the gene level.

I think that after 50 years of rapid growth,
the computer business has now reached
maturity.  I don't see anything coming
in computers that will come close to
matching the potential growth in biotech.