[Paleopsych] symbol vs. reality

Michael Christopher anonymous_animus at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 18 23:20:40 UTC 2005

>>Powerful and Continuing Nationalism - Fascist
regimes tend to make constant use of patriotic mottos,
slogans, symbols, songs, and other paraphernalia.
Flags are seen everywhere, as are flag symbols on
clothing and in public displays.<<

--This seems to be part of a larger issue that may
include members of many opposing groups. Symbols
become substitutes for reality, when people consider
large-scale issues involving millions of people. It's
as if the reality is impossible to hold in mind, so a
symbol must replace it. Then, the symbol is elevated
to the status of a human being, treated as if it were
able to feel pain and could be violated as a human
can. The flag becomes a "martyr", or a minor deity,
rather than a symbol. Tearing up the word "people" is
not the same as tearing up people. Burning a flag is
not the same as burning the country.

One thing I wonder about: if someone burned a copy of
the U.S. Constitution, would it get the same level of
outrage? Perhaps the fact that nobody wants to burn it
means we all agree on something more basic than the
flag. After all, without the Constitution, what would
the flag represent? Not freedom.