[Paleopsych] From Eshel--A Glitch in Genetic-centrism

HowlBloom at aol.com HowlBloom at aol.com
Mon Mar 28 06:48:07 UTC 2005

_Deinococcus radiodurans_ (http://deinococcus.allbio.org/)  is  able to
withstand the shattering and spattering force of radioactivity by  keeping many
apparently super-condensed backup copies of its genome, then  rebuilding whatever
genomic sequences that have been destroyed.

If a genome is the most economical summation of a species past possible,  how
can it be condensed into a backup copy?  Is there, as Joel Isaacson  suggest,
an Ur pattern, an implicit pattern from which a mashed gene can be
re-extracted?  Does the deciphering of an ancient pattern, an implicit  pattern, an
Ur-pattern, change as the context that extracts it changes?

Is the context of the still-unfazed genome, of the cytoplasm, of the cell
membrane, and of the signals coming from neighboring and distant  cells an
extractor capable of re-deducing the implicit healthy gene  when a mutated gene has
gone off-track?

Can evolution take a step back to retrace its earlier moves?

Is the radiodurans backup mechanism an after-the-fact condensation of the
genome--a symbolic representation of the genome?  Or is it a remnant of
something that preceded the genome?

Eshel, you speak of RNA as the possible backup mechanism.   RNA  is the
evolutionary precursor of DNA if the RNA-world hypothesis is true.   Do you think
that what was once derived from RNA can be derived again?

Is this pattern a sort of ontogeny recapitulating phylogeny?

And if the complexities and intricate forms and functions of the  present
have been pulled from the implications of the past, what even more  elaborate
futures will be extracted from the implications of today?   Howard

In a message dated 3/24/2005 10:07:42 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,