[Paleopsych] From Eshel--A Glitch in Genetic-centrism

Val Geist kendulf at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 28 18:40:03 UTC 2005

Dear Howard,

Eschel is right. This is exciting stuff, especially if the RNA hypothesis holds. However, there is something in mammals that relates to reverting to the grand-parental genetic expression, or great- great parental genetic expression , or great- great- great parental genetic expression - and not to the parental one! And we have no clue about the mysterious mechanism. The phenomenon was dubbed - not surprisingly - the "grand parent effect". It showed that he adaptive expression of genes in individuals was not that to their immediate environment, but to that of their grand or great-grand or great-great ..etc. parents. How is it possible that the ova and sperm retain the environmental memory of up to four generations past? Or is it something about the phenotype incubating in gestation its progeny that affect it? We do not know! The phenomenon was first discovered in the late 1930's by an exceedingly gifted amateur biologist, though chemist by training, when he was experimenting with red deer, trying to increase trophy size. Quite unexpectedly, the deer did not respond fully to the luxury food he offered, rather they responded with increases in body and antler size stepwise, each generation being larger in size than the preceding one - for five generations! About 30 years later it was re-discovered in mice and rats, showing that the nutrition experienced by grand parents and earlier generation still affected the phenotype of the now-generation. In short, genetic expression was based on phenotypic experiences and was stored for several generations, and this multi-generational gene-environment communication affected the offspring.

Now, there is a wonderfully logical - adaptive - explanation for this. Remember the maintenance - dispersal phenotype axis? (or, if you prefer paedomorph - hypermorph, efficiency - luxury etc). The norm in populations is maintenance conditions that is of hunger, shortages, severe intra- and inter-specific competition for resources etc., to which the maintenance, paedomorph or efficiency phenotype is closely and effectively adapted. However, nature's ecological vagaries are such that now and a gain a year or two of abundance and luxury comes along. An individual conceived then - clearly - must not be a dispersal, hypermorph or luxury phenotype because it would be woefully maladaptive under the regular conditions of shortages and severe competition for resources. The adaptive thing to do is to wait and see and alter offspring towards dispersal, hypermorph or luxury phenotypes only if luxury conditions continue to prevail. That, however, is the signal for the very rare - excruciatingly rare, but supremely important - case of vacant habitat being available where the dispersal phenotype is highly adaptive to spread the parental genomes! That's all in Chapter six of my 1978 Lifestrategies .. book entitled "How Genes Communicate with the Environment - the Biology of Inequality".

Coming back to humans: it is possible that the phenomenon of secular growth, in which the offspring generations over a long time span exceed the parent generation in size, is part and parcel of this gene-environment communication, with old environmental information stored for influencing the next generations ontogeny. Secular growth can be predicted to come to a halt when we have reached, on average, the body mass, size and development of our Upper Paleolithic Ice Age ancestors. That is, it will stop when men average a bit over six feet in height (and brain size exceeds our by about 20%) - and we are some time off from that! Five- eight, so I understand, is the height of men currently in North America.  Secular growth has been going on since the middle of the 19th century, the nadir having been reached during the preceding industrial revolution. As stated befoer, there is no clue as to mechanism!

Sincerely.

Val Geist

Professor Emeritus of Environmental Science