[Paleopsych] From Eshel--A Glitch in Genetic-centrism--Joel

HowlBloom at aol.com HowlBloom at aol.com
Tue Mar 29 07:02:39 UTC 2005

Joel--What you say below sounds right to me.  If I understand it  rightly,
time is a recursion of boundary-making, an iteration of a  differentiating and
aggregating process, a multiplier of the voids spaced  between the nodes of
isness, and a grower of the clusters between the voids--as  in your cellular
automata model.  It makes sense.

And it fits with the notion that time is the most critical aspect of
perception, an idea that Jeff Hawkins proposes in On Intelligence, one of  the few
new-idea-generating books I've read in a long time.  Perception  in Hawkin's
view is a flow, a music.  As in music, we spot thje  sensory world's ur-patterns,
its repetitive themes and their  variations.

In higher cortical regions, we create invariant representations of a stream
of sensations, we sift the themes from of a parade of sense-impacts, we
capture the pattern of a surge of  impressions that follow each other like  the
notes in a melody. Hawkins thinks of these invariant representations  as "Name
that Tune"-style song-spotting.  We send the prediction that  the name of the
tune--the invariant representation-- implies back down to  the sensory level of
the cortex.  If the song title predicts the  incoming stream properly,
everything is fine.  If the incoming signal-surge  no longer follows the melody
predicted by the song title, more cortical regions  are forced to rush in and try
other song titles, other invariant  representations, other names for the
possible melody.

The cosmos is process.  Time is as critical to understanding as are
"things".

Perception has to mirror the cosmos to work.  So perception is a
time-process, a temporal-flow-identifier-and-predictor, a future-projector that  works by
taking what's past and flipping it forward, sometimes with a new  twist.
Music is practice for future-projection, for identifying patterns  in the flow.
New musical styles and new songs are practice for the  novelties that may lay
around the bend.  Howard

In a message dated 3/28/2005 11:07:39 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,