[Paleopsych] From Eshel--A Glitch in Genetic-centrism--Joel

Val Geist kendulf at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 29 16:12:56 UTC 2005

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: HowlBloom at aol.com
  To: paleopsych at paleopsych.org
  Sent: Monday, March 28, 2005 11:02 PM
  Subject: Re: [Paleopsych] From Eshel--A Glitch in Genetic-centrism--Joel

  Joel--What you say below sounds right to me.  If I understand it rightly,  time is a recursion of boundary-making, an iteration of a differentiating and aggregating process, a multiplier of the voids spaced between the nodes of isness, and a grower of the clusters between the voids--as in your cellular automata model.  It makes sense.

  And it fits with the notion that time is the most critical aspect of perception, an idea that Jeff Hawkins proposes in On Intelligence, one of the few new-idea-generating books I've read in a long time.  Perception in Hawkin's view is a flow, a music.  As in music, we spot thje sensory world's ur-patterns, its repetitive themes and their variations.

  In higher cortical regions, we create invariant representations of a stream of sensations, we sift the themes from of a parade of sense-impacts, we capture the pattern of a surge of  impressions that follow each other like the notes in a melody. Hawkins thinks of these invariant representations as "Name that Tune"-style song-spotting.  We send the prediction that the name of the tune--the invariant representation-- implies back down to the sensory level of the cortex.  If the song title predicts the incoming stream properly, everything is fine.  If the incoming signal-surge no longer follows the melody predicted by the song title, more cortical regions are forced to rush in and try other song titles, other invariant representations, other names for the possible melody.

  The cosmos is process.  Time is as critical to understanding as are "things".

  Perception has to mirror the cosmos to work.  So perception is a time-process, a temporal-flow-identifier-and-predictor, a future-projector that works by taking what's past and flipping it forward, sometimes with a new twist.  Music is practice for future-projection, for identifying patterns in the flow.  New musical styles and new songs are practice for the novelties that may lay around the bend.  Howard