[Paleopsych] Nanotechnology could promote hydrogen economy

Lynn D. Johnson, Ph.D. ljohnson at solution-consulting.com
Wed Mar 30 16:01:10 UTC 2005

At twelve weeks, there is no difference between cognitive behavioral
therapy for depression and psychoanalytic therapy, even though the APA
supports CBT as the treatment of choice. That is one example of many,
many studies.

Combining medication and therapy has an additive effect. In one study,
52% of psychotherapy patients were improved, 55% of medication patients,
but 85% of combined patients were improved. (Kelly, et al, 2000, NEJM).
Complete remission (<10 on Beck Depression Inventory): 24% CBT, 22%
meds, and 42% combination.

Another medical example is arthroscopic knee surgery. Since I am a
finalist for Worst Knees in an Adult Male, I have an interest in this.
Moseley et al., 2002 NEJM reported that there is no relationship between
procedures done to 'help' the knee and outcome. Some patients got sham
surgery and some got actual clean-up of the meniscus, and months later
there was no difference. Both groups rated their knees as much improved.
People do procedures that they were trained to do. People do procedures
that there is a market for. People do procedures for which they get paid.

Here is an inspiring counter example: in 1991, Neil Jacobson published
an editorial in Jl Beh Ther in which he admitted that his Marital
Behavioral Exchange Therapy to improve marriages, did not, in fact,
improve marriages. He abandoned behavioral marital exchange (you change
to make me happy and I will change to make you happy) in favor of John
Gottman's paradigms. I remember my utter astonishment when I read that,
because it is very painful for me to admit I have been wrong. Jacobson
gave 10 years of his highly published life to behavioral exchange and to
renounce that was an act of the highest moral courage.
Lynn
Salt Lake City where we have four inches of brand new snow right outside
my library window and three feet in the mountains, and I have a full day
of work today and tomorrow and cannot go skiing. oh the horror, the horror.