[Paleopsych] What's the survival value of posttraumaticstressdisorder?

JV Kohl jvkohl at bellsouth.net
Tue May 17 04:24:39 UTC 2005

Alice,
I've long thought that the link between PTSD and rape is olfactory. War
vets response triggered by smoke;
women's response triggered by the natural scent of a man--or event
associated odors: alcohol, etc. The natural
scent of a man can evoke chemical changes in reproductive hormone
levels, which would also affect personality.
The association with natural masculine scent is most likely to alter
intimacy with a rape victim's loving spouse/lover.
She will respond to him, unfortunately, as her traumatized body
responded to the rape.

I wonder how much you've heard, read about the olfactory connection--and
how much validity you think
there is to it.

Jim Kohl
www.pheromones.com