[Paleopsych] free wills and quantum won'ts

Val Geist kendulf at shaw.ca
Thu May 19 16:13:49 UTC 2005

Dear Howard,

I am up to my ears in work, but am working towards "that book". I could not help notice the discussion below, for "free will", has a few biological kink of its own. One can make a fair case that "free will" is in good part a delusion and that we are far more programmed, far more tightly controlled by unconscious programs than we care to admit. We have no difficulty admitting that when, say, we walk that automatic systems do most of the work and we provide at best a little guidance. When walking up a stairs we have spatial control so pat, that our toes miss the steps by less than a cm. And its easy to test for: raise one step by half a cm and see everybody catch their toe and fall on their face. In decades past the physiologist Sherrington showed on decerebrated dogs that - without brain-control - the dog, when tickled, led its foot with great precision for a scratch. That is, there were complex programs of motion in the spinal cord and we called them then reflexes. Studies of Sherrington's type showed a hierarchy of systems reaching from the spinal chord into the brain-stem and, finally, on into the cerebral cortex. The great advance by Lorenzian ethology was to make us aware that large, innate behavioral programs controlled much of what we did, and from studies of large mammals it became very clear that we shared mega-systems of behavior of all mammals with some of them leading on into reptiles, amphibians and fishes. My next book will probably be entitled "Condemned to Art", and one can show how hopelessly - and haplessly! - we are tied to, blindly, follow internal esthetic programs (mostly adaptive!), that we make decisions based on these that defy reason, and are quite embarrassing when we, so to say, find out! It's embarrassing, but Paleopsychology at its best! It also fills one with apprehension to discover that we can duplicate tools used by people of our Cro-Magnon etc lineage, but that we are stumped figuring out - most - tools used by Neanderthal! These physically quite different people thought (with their huge brains) so differently from us, that we have great difficulties determining just how some of their tools were used, let alone have the physical strength to duplicate the wear-patterns. Somehow we can climb out of what in the past I called "Darwin's cage", that is the innate structures that so readily channel our thoughts, but its tough to determine just when we are climbing out!

On another, parallel matter: in re-examining past and present evidence about our most ancient past when Neanderthal and we formed two lineages, it becomes more and more evident that we, the moderns, were an insignificant side-branch playing second fiddle to the powerful and ubiquitous Neanderthal, who always took the best for himself forcing us to make do with what Neanderthal was not interested in. It's eerie how the pattern is falling out.

Cheers, Val Geist