[Paleopsych] NYT Op-Ed:Waiting for Their Moment in the Worst Place on Earth to Be a Woman

Premise Checker checker at panix.com
Tue Nov 22 17:44:23 UTC 2005

Waiting for Their Moment in the Worst Place on Earth to Be a Woman
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/16/opinion/16wed4.html

    Editorial Observer
    By HELENE COOPER

    You can't get to Bukavu, Congo, from Monrovia, Liberia. Like just
    about everywhere else in Africa, the two places are separated by dense
    rain forests, interminable wars and impassable dirt roads that don't
    go anywhere.

    Yet they might as well be the same place. "Oh, finally, now I'm home,"
    I thought as I crawled out of the tiny single-engine plane and jumped
    onto the landing strip of what passes for Bukavu's airport. It was
    about six months ago, and I was on a reporting trip throughout Africa.
    It was a weird trip for me because I was there to write about poverty
    and development, yet everywhere I went, from Accra, Ghana, to Mekele,
    Ethiopia and Kisumu, Kenya, I kept thinking that none of those places,
    for all of their endemic poverty or corruption, seemed as bad off as
    my own home country, Liberia.

    Until, that is, I got to Bukavu. After the semidesert of Ethiopia and
    the savannas of Kenya, Bukavu was otherworldly lush, with that
    tropical just-rained smell that often greets me when I go home to
    Liberia. Leafy, green mountains and valleys surrounded the teeming
    city, with rich banana trees and tea plantations dotting the
    countryside: the same luxuriant, verdant landscape we have around
    Monrovia.

    And the same inexplicable sense of abandonment that comes from having
    a population ravaged by years of pointless civil wars. Thousands upon
    thousands of young boys troll fetid, trash-strewn streets, with
    nowhere to go. Downtown buildings, long devoid of any commerce, are
    marked with holes from rockets, grenades and the various other
    projectiles common to all of the continent's numerous wars. A few
    private cars - mufflers dragging, crammed with 10, 15, even 20 people
    - travel the crater-filled streets, but mostly just the white United
    Nations S.U.V.'s.

    What struck me most, though, in Bukavu were the women. As I drove into
    the city, I passed women I have known all of my life. There were old
    women - old in Africa means 35 or so - with huge bundles of bamboo
    sticks on their back. In most cases, the burdens were larger than the
    backs carrying them as they trudged up one hill after another. There
    were market women in their colorful dresses - in Liberia we would call
    them lapas - huddled together on the side of the road selling oranges,
    hard-boiled eggs and nuts.

    There were young women and girls, sitting in front of village huts
    bathing their sons, daughters, brothers and sisters in rubber buckets.
    No electricity or running water was anywhere close, but one
    10-year-old girl had dragged a bucket of dirty creek water up the hill
    to her house so she could wash her 4-year-old sister.

    These were the women I grew up with in Liberia, the women all across
    Africa - the worst place there is to be a woman - who somehow manage
    to carry that entire continent on their backs.

    In Liberia, when their sons were kidnapped and drugged to fight for
    rebel factions, and when their husbands came home from brothels and
    infected them with H.I.V., and when government soldiers invaded their
    houses and raped them in front of their teenage sons, these were the
    women who picked themselves up and kept going. They kept selling fish,
    cassava and kola nuts so they could feed their families. They gave
    birth to the children of their rapists in the forests and carried the
    children on their backs as they balanced jugs of water on their heads.

    These are the women who went to the polls in Liberia last week. They
    ignored the threats of the young men who vowed more war if their
    chosen presidential candidate, a former soccer player named George
    Weah, didn't win. "No Weah, no peace," the boys yelled, chanting in
    the streets and around the polling stations.

    The women in Liberia, by and large, ignored those boys and made Ellen
    Johnson-Sirleaf, who is 67, the first woman to be elected to lead an
    African country. I wasn't surprised that Mr. Weah immediately said the
    vote had been rigged, although international observers said it had not
    been. In the half-century since the Europeans left Africa, its men
    have proved remarkably adept at self-delusion.

    No one can be sure what kind of president Mrs. Johnson-Sirleaf, a
    Harvard-educated banker who was imprisoned by one of the many men who
    ran Liberia into the ground over the last few decades, will be. There
    are plenty of African women who have brought us shame, like Winnie
    Madikizela-Mandela. But after 25 years of war, genocide and anarchy,
    it's a good bet that Mrs. Johnson-Sirleaf will smoke the men who
    preceded her in running the country. It's not going to be that hard to
    do; she is following Charles Taylor and Samuel Doe, both butchers of
    the first degree.

    Ever since the voting results started coming in a few days ago,
    showing what the Liberian women had done, I've been unable to get one
    image from Bukavu out of my mind. It is of an old woman, in her 30's.
    It was almost twilight when I saw her, walking up the hill out of the
    city as I drove in.

    She carried so many logs that her chest almost seemed to touch the
    ground, so stooped was her back. Still, she trudged on, up the hill
    toward her home. Her husband was walking just in front of her. He
    carried nothing. Nothing in his hand, nothing on his shoulder, nothing
    on his back. He kept looking back at her, telling her to hurry up.

    I want to go back to Bukavu to find that woman, and to tell her what
    just happened in Liberia. I want to tell her this: Your time will
    come, too.