[Paleopsych] Bush's real motive

Hannes Eisler he at psychology.su.se
Wed Jan 18 19:29:51 UTC 2006

I don't have any statistics, but my guess is that boys quite often
compete with their fathers, not nedessarily with such a miserable
result as in this case.
However, what I find so fascinating is the privatizing of a task. In
Mailer's "The naked and the death" a general is asking for support
by destroyers with the thought of what impact this operation would
make on the military staff ratgher than that it would be a successful
attempt to defeat the Japanese on the island in question. Another—
real life—example. An American collegue and good friend of mine,
unfortunately dead by now, decided not to continue with his sttudies
in math because he realized he would not become famous and remembered
this way.  so he switched to psychology (which proved to be the right
thing to do from this particular perspective).

17 jan 2006 kl. 00.37 skrev Steve Hovland:

> If true, he has failed miserably.
>
> Is that often true?  Boys wanting to show
> their father how smart they are and making
> a mess instead?

Prof. Hannes Eisler
Department of Psychology
Stockholm University