[extropy-chat] Guns

Charlie Stross charlie at antipope.org
Mon Dec 1 14:24:38 UTC 2003

On 1 Dec 2003, at 14:09, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> --- Dirk Bruere <dirk at neopax.com> wrote:
>> I doubt it.
>> It's a religious issue that is a matter of faith.
>
> Sorry, Dirk, but the numbers really do prove my side. Dr. John Lott's
> study was of ALL FBI crime data from 1980 to 1995 and proves that
> right-to-carry reduces crime. Antyi-gun studies always cherry pick
> their data sets from communities that fit their prejudices. NONE have
> ever looked at even a large fraction of the data that Lott's study
> covered.

Are we talking about the same John Lott who invents sock-puppets on
mailing lists ("Mary Rosh") to defend him against the accusations that
he cited figures from surveys that funnily enough nobody else can find
any records of?

http://www.jointogether.org/gv/news/features/reader/
0,2061,561876,00.html

Or switches statistical model without saying so then blames a computer
error?

http://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~lambert/cgi-bin/blog/2003/09#0913b

-- Charlie