[extropy-chat] Who Anticipated Internet Exploding in 90s?

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Wed Dec 3 22:17:42 UTC 2003

At 08:44 AM 12/3/2003 +0100, Giu1i0 Pri5c0 wrote:
>I did. In 1990 I was playing with the idea to start a net access business
>for individual end users, and even found someone who was maybe willing to
>invest some money. Then I let them talking me out of the idea, "this is too
>crazy, there will never be a market for this". Now when I wish to do some
>sweet daydreaming I think of what I would do with all the money that I would
>have now if I had followed my idea to the end.
>Two lessons here: 1 - believe in your ideas - 2 - get your ass off the
>armchair and do it.

Those are both great maxims but timing is everything.

My father had quite a few billion-dollar inventions -- like high-speed
modems, many-focal-point lenses, fax machines, and very-high-resolution
automated typography -- decades before they eventually boomed.  He was too
far ahead, and he couldn't convince anyone with money.

It's not always profitable being a prophet.

I've learned consequently to focus my commercial ideas on a couple years
out:  near enough that you can have a product ready to go just as people
realize they want it.

-- David Lubkin.