[extropy-chat] libertarian fervor

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Thu Dec 4 04:51:36 UTC 2003

>--- "R.Coyote" <etheric at comcast.net> wrote:
> > "Would others speak to where their libertarian fervor came from?"

Three people have now posted replies to my question in a way that suggests
a misattribution.  We all need to be more careful in source attribution for
the sake of archaeologists and historians in millennia to come....

At 06:20 PM 12/3/2003 -0800, Mike Lorrey wrote:

>Culmination of many things, but the biggest contributors were:
>
>a) reading Heinlein SF

It's ironic that in the message where I posed the question I did not
mention Heinlein, since I've made the point here and in fiction that
writers often have a more profound impact on one's life than one's
acquaintances and experiences.

I credit Heinlein for a large chunk of my interests, attitudes, and
character.  His direct contribution is immense; when I try to add up the
ripple effects from those influenced by him -- well, I'm not sure I can
count that high.  Seems like behind every extropian topic are pioneers who
grew up on his writing.  I think I met all of the people I care most about
as a consequence.  My daughter would not exist otherwise, and perhaps nor
would I.

I suppose if he hadn't been, someone else would have been -- but in our
reality, he was, and so deserves the credit.

And, of course, as he noted, we can't pay him back; we have to pay it forward.

-- David Lubkin.