[extropy-chat] The Trouble With Democracy

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Sat Dec 6 03:28:00 UTC 2003

From: "Mike Lorrey" <mlorrey at yahoo.com>
> --- Olga Bourlin <fauxever at sprynet.com> wrote, continuing to prove she
> is the queen of moral equivalency:

Nope.  I am not in any sense a monarchist.

> > How very sweet.  But how sad that black citizens in many parts of the
> > United> > States couldn't go to restaurants (hotels, etc.).  And
speaking of
> > refreshments - in veteran civil rights activist James Forman's book
> > "The Making of Black Revolutionaries," he details how he rather
> > unwittingly found out that the U.S. Army was more than simply
> > segregated.  He was assigned to the "white" Army for a time
> > (because of a special duty he was asked to perform), and in
> > the "white" Army, much to his surprise, he was served ...
> > real eggs (whereas in the "black" Army he was used to being served
> > powdered eggs).
> >
> > Just want to keep certain things in perspective, here ...
>
> Oh WHAAAAAAAA  While black soldiers had to whine about getting powdered
> eggs, Jews in Germany were getting exterminated, so put that
> "perspective" in your pipe and smoke it. While blacks were getting
> stuck in logistics jobs instead of being sent to the front to die (oh,
> the horror), jewish prisoners were being worked to death building V-2
> rockets in cave factories. While black soldiers were risking court
> martial for refusing to load or unload dangerous munition cargoes from
> ships, jews refusing to work were summarily shot. By the time several
> dozen black airmen became subjects in the Tuskegee syphyllis
> experiments, millions of jews had been exterminated in a national
> experiment in racial engineering. Got enough apples for THAT perspective?

I was comparing the way *German soldiers* were supposedly being treated vs.
the way some *"black" American citizens* (and "black" military personnel)
were being treated here.  But you are talking about how Jews were treated -
in Europe.  Speaking of apples (since you conveniently brought them up) -
why have have sidled over into the "oranges" perspective?  The way Jews were
treated in Europe in no way justified the way American citizens were treated
right here.  That is not to say Jews weren't treated horribly.  They were
(somewhat less horribly in the United States, and about as nighmarish
horribly as can be imagined during the reign of the Nazis in Europe).
That's another subject, and another (added) perspective.

Mike, why do you seem so hostile?  Can't we talk?

Olga