[extropy-chat] The Trouble With Democracy

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 6 04:00:36 UTC 2003

--- Olga Bourlin <fauxever at sprynet.com> wrote:
> From: "Mike Lorrey" <mlorrey at yahoo.com>
> >
> > Oh WHAAAAAAAA  While black soldiers had to whine about getting
> powdered
> > eggs, Jews in Germany were getting exterminated, so put that
> > "perspective" in your pipe and smoke it. While blacks were getting
> > stuck in logistics jobs instead of being sent to the front to die
> (oh,
> > the horror), jewish prisoners were being worked to death building
> V-2
> > rockets in cave factories. While black soldiers were risking court
> > martial for refusing to load or unload dangerous munition cargoes
> from
> > ships, jews refusing to work were summarily shot. By the time
> several
> > dozen black airmen became subjects in the Tuskegee syphyllis
> > experiments, millions of jews had been exterminated in a national
> > experiment in racial engineering. Got enough apples for THAT
> perspective?
>
> I was comparing the way *German soldiers* were supposedly being
> treated vs.
> the way some *"black" American citizens* (and "black" military
> personnel)
> were being treated here.  But you are talking about how Jews were
> treated -
> in Europe.  Speaking of apples (since you conveniently brought them
> up) -
> why have have sidled over into the "oranges" perspective?

I was comparing how one oppressed minority was treated in Germany with
how another was treated in the US. Apples and apples, dear.

> The way Jews were treated in Europe in no way justified the way
> American citizens were treated
> right here.  That is not to say Jews weren't treated horribly.  They
> were
> (somewhat less horribly in the United States, and about as nighmarish
> horribly as can be imagined during the reign of the Nazis in Europe).
> That's another subject, and another (added) perspective.

Dead is a bit more than 'being treated horribly'. Being treated
horribly is having your credit card refused or sitting in the back of
the bus.

> Mike, why do you seem so hostile?  Can't we talk?

Sorry, its late, I've been very tired from nursing mom, and you know
that moral equivilancy arguments always tick me off, and of course part
of my family is jewish. I am reminded of an editorial cartoon I saw
last year depicting two al Qaeda/Taliban hiding in an afghani cave
highin the Hindu Kush, freezing their asses off and reading the al
Qaeda Times with a review of conditions for prisoners in the tropical
paradise of Guantanamo Bay, the reviewer says, "Too Breezy, no pillow
mints." To which the talibanis respond, "Barbarians!!!"

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey