[extropy-chat] same story, different spins

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 7 16:21:29 UTC 2003

--- Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> CNN title:  Afghan bicycle bomb injures 15
>
> Foxnews title:  Taliban Targets U.S. Soldiers in Afghanistan
>

> CNN:  A bicycle carried a bomb that exploded in the main square of
> the
> southern Afghanistan city of Kandahar, wounding at least 15 people
>
> Foxnews:  A bomb ripped through a bustling Kandahar bazaar Saturday,
> wounding 20 Afghans, in an attack the Taliban say targeted - but
> missed
> - U.S. soldiers.
>

> CNN:  Hashma and Deputy Chief Mohammad Salim said police and U.S.
> troops
> were investigating, but no arrests had been made.
>
> Foxnews: Taliban fighters claimed responsibility, saying the blast
> was
> aimed at American soldiers, but went off late.
>

> CNN:  The blast damaged several shops in the square, breaking windows
> and crumbling walls...
>
> Foxnews: ...Six shops were leveled. Broken glass from the shattered
> hotel front littered the ground, stained by the victims' blood. The
> wounded included three children...three of the 20 injured were
> seriously
> hurt and taken to the coalition military base at the city's airport
> for
> treatment...
>

> The tone of the articles is so very different that
> it leads to different conclusions.  The CNN report
> almost makes it sound like they do not know who set
> off the explosion.  Foxnews has already tried and
> convicted the mad dogs of the Taliban.  It is no
> wonder there is such deeply divided opinion on the
> coalition action in Afghanistan, it depends on which
> news sources one reads.  Both sources are necessary
> to even start to understand.

Well, I wouldnt' say Fox has tried and convicted the Taliban. Their
article clearly states that the Taliban has *claimed* responsibility,
and is only making excuses about why they wound up killing only fellow
afghans. The CNN simply didn't publish any claims of responsibility by
parties like the Taliban.

Now, I don't know why either side would do what they did. Is CNN simply
parroting its policy of not reporting that a criminal suspect is black
when he/she IS black, and not posting a photo, but having no trouble
reporting white criminals and posting their images, especially when
they are middle aged white males? In this case, are they not reporting
bad things the opponents of the US are doing as being done by them? Is
Fox trying to depict the Taliban as incompetent guerrillas, or are they
trying to say that Afghanistan is still dangerous?

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey