[extropy-chat] Smalley, Drexler and the monster in Lake Michigan

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Tue Dec 9 14:36:28 UTC 2003

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Jeff Davis wrote:

> --- "Robert J. Bradbury" <bradbury at aeiveos.com> wrote:
>
> If we want to know why politics is so complex this is
> sure a good example.
>
> What's so complex?  Smalley is a meta-honcho--likely
> on the short list for honcho--near the summit a
> multi-billion dollar public research money pile.

Jeff, I did not interject that statement as a comment
on Smalley v. Drexler.  I interjected it based on the
fact that in spite of a hour or more looking through
the U.S. legislative processes I cannot determine
accurately how/when the studies got deleted from
the bills.  I think around May the House bill got
sent to the Senate, but the Senate bill didn't get
sent to committee until September.  I think sometime
between those dates some reconciliation took place
between the bills but I'm unsure who did it and
when it took place.

And I may be all wrong because the published paper
trail (that I've been able to find thus far) is
complex in and of itself and that is still probably
less complex than what actually took place.

Robert