[extropy-chat] christmas music

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 12 20:40:20 UTC 2003

I have to agree with you on this one Spike. To recognize the brainwash for what it is is to be incensed by it. It seems to start earlier every year. I swear it started the day after Thanksgiving this year. Hey anybody know where I can buy leaping lords? I need ten of them.

Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
I do not have an extropic answer to this problem:
around christmas, all you hear is christmas music,
for a two solid months, from just before Halloween
until just after New Years, and it drives me CRAZY.
The real problem is that there aren't enough different
songs, so they play the saaaammme ooooonnnnes
over and over and over and over and every yahoo has a
slightly different version of the same old thing. But
the real problem is that in the shopping malls, they
have instrumental versions, and you can't help
thinking the words! Just try: you can't do it.
Try to not think of the words to Jingle Bells next
time you hear it, and good luck.

The next biggest problem is that the words are
absurd, the ones you cannot help thinking of, since
we are all hypnotized and thought-controlled to think
of those words whenever we hear the tunes, and buy stuff.

Consider the words to the little drummer boy for instance.
OK now, first of all, drums do not go rumpapum pum, they
go rattatat tat. Secondly, what of the ox and lamb? What
exactly is included in "keeping time?" Were the ox and
lamb gently swaying to the beat? Friends, that kinda thing
creeps me out. I form a mental image like something
outta Hitchcock. So it is a bit unclear at best, but in
any case, keeping time is not something I want to see a
bunch of goddam livestock doing anywhere near a newborn.
He would have nightmares until well past adolescence.

And that bit about making a snowman and pretending he
Parson Brown. They are holding a running conversation with
a pile of SNOW, fer cryin out loud. Someone has put
angel dust in their stockings you can be sure.

The Avantguardian

"He stands like some sort of pagan god or deposed tyrant. Staring out over the city he's sworn to . . .to stare out over and it's evident just by looking at him that he's got some pretty heavy things on his mind."