[extropy-chat] EU constitution collapses/taxifornian glo-fish

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 14 23:02:20 UTC 2003

--- Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote

> Consider the following case of rights being taken away
> by means which I would have thought unconstitutional:
> Taxifornia state fish and game commissioner Sam Schuchat
> (not an elected post as far as I know) recently decided
> they would not allow genetically modified glow-in-the-dark
> aquarium fish to be sold here.  The yahoo flatly stated
> that he had consulted *with his rabbi* before making the decision.
>
> That raised three big red flags: 1) he was acting outside the
> capacity of interpreting the state constitution: essentially
> making law, and 2) he was making it based on religious
> reasoning, and 3) the commission appears to be dictating
> in an area in which they have no apparent jurisdiction.
> When I hear of stuff like this, I am tempted to go buy
> a school of glo-fish in Nevada, bring them here and
> release them into the wild.
>
> Schuchat commented:
>
> "For me it's a question of values, it's not a question of
> science," said commissioner Sam Schuchat. "I think selling
> genetically modified fish as pets is wrong."

AHAHAAAAAAA! This means that selling them to *stock* wilderness areas
must be okay!!! Go for it , Spike!!! You just can't keep them as
pets.... ;) Thing is that they will wind up in the wild pretty soon
anyways when people flush them down the toilet.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey